Boston 1998 - A Lot of History

Boston Travel Blog

in Beacon Hill

This was my first ever visit to Boston. I was not sure where to go next, but then, decided to visit it, when I met a couple of people from there. They were in Philly for some church function, and I would get their info, as we would later meet up when I came into town.

I went to Boston from August 20 to August 27. I had a week to see as much as I can, plus meet more people from the Boston Church of Christ, and hang out with them. I will be mainly summarizing about some of the places I visited on this trip.

The first day of sightseeing, I got to travel with Jason, who is originally from Maine, and just recently relocated to Boston for college. So he was new to the city as well.

in Boston Common
We would travel around Boston Common, and walk the Black Heritage Trail. The Black Heritage Trail took people to sites that were important to American black history. There was no line on the ground to follow, so I had to rely on a map that I picked up from the visitor center. And read about the places as well. This area was in the Beacon Hill area, which felt like, it was stuck in some type of time warp. Just randomly walk around the area, and you will see what I mean.

I also got to visit the Bull & Finch Bar, known as the Cheers bar from the TV show. Downstairs is a bar, but not the one you see in the TV show. The ground floor has a shop (which sells... you guessed it... Cheers merchandise) and a restaurant. Afterwards, I went to the Boston Public Garden, which has the statues of the duck.
throwing tea into the harbor

I did get to do the Freedom Trail, which has a red line, taking people to 16 historical sites. The red line is either in the form of red paint or a couple brick lines. In addition to the sites that I went on the Trail, I did stray off it, to see some of the other sites away from it. Some of which, are just quick visits, while others take a little while. It started from Boston Common, and after going through a few different neighborhoods, ends at the USS Constitution. Or is it the Bunker Hill Monument? I'm not sure. Still, it gives a nice overview of the city.

I also got to visit the Boston Tea Party Ship & Museum, which was a replica ship and a museum on the event. It started with a rally, to get people all fired up to dump the tea into the harbor. We were all given Native American feathers, just like the colonists, when they disguised themselves as them.
at Harvard
After the rally, I walk around the ship, seeing the history of the event. Then I got to throw a box of tea into the harbor. Not really, and the crate had a rope attached to it, so it can be pulled back out. It was a lot of fun, and worth the detour.

I did get to see Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox, but only from outside. I also saw the Fleetcenter, home of the Celtics and Bruins. Also got to visit Cambridge for a short time, getting to see Harvard and MIT briefly, the top colleges in the world.

Boston is a great place to visit, and a lot of history. There is history everywhere, with neighborhoods retaining that historic feel. If have only 1 day, definitely do the Freedom Trail, which also gives a great overview of the city.

on the Black Heritage Trail
on the Black Heritage Trail
me and Jason at the Cheers bar
me and Jason at the Cheers bar
me and Jason at Boston Common memo…
me and Jason at Boston Common mem…
inside the Cheers bar