Arizona 2004 - Grand Time In Desert

Arizona Travel Blog

hiking at Grand Canyon

With the voucher that I got from the airline in Paris, I decided to use it for a spring break to Arizona. It was about a $100 discount, which was not too bad. I arrived into Phoenix, where it was immediately hot for me, coming from a cold Philly. I picked up the car, and headed for Flagstaff.

The drive was kind of disorientating, driving along mountainsides, going up and down hills. I got to Flagstaff by around sunset, which was around 5 PM. I checked into the hostel, and was given an admission ticket to the Grand Canyon, which had a few days left on it. Very nice of them. Sleep would be tough at times, due to the railroad noise. I learned that the hostel is a block away from the railroad tracks.

at Grand Canyon

Next day, I drove all the way to the Grand Canyon National Park. Once there, I drove around the area, stopping by the post office and the shop. Then to the different viewing areas. I wanted to hike on one of the trails, and started on the Bright Angel Trail, but quickly turned back after seeing how icy it was.

Later, I decided to try again, and hike the South Kaibab Trail, and ended up tagging along with a couple from England, and a mother and daughter from Vermont. We all unknowingly became a group. I would only go halfway down, then go back up. The first part was very icy and slippery, and one slip away from falling off the cliff. Then at some point, it got very hot. A sharp contrast. When reaching the halfway point, we all just ate our food, then had to part ways. The British couple continued down to the Colorado River, while me and the mother & daughter from Vermont, went back up.
in Sedona
We all made it back to the top. While it was very difficult, it was also a great time.

I stayed around to see the sunset, then had to drive back to Flagstaff. The next day, I would leave, and drive through Sedona, which looked like Wile E Coyote land. I kept expecting to run into the Road Runner and Coyote. I did not stay long, and drove back to Phoenix.

Once there, I had time for a couple attractions, visiting the Phoenix Museum of History, Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum, and Bank One Ballpark (home of the Diamondbacks). But it was not baseball season, so instead, I went to the restaurant there, and was able to sit by the ballpark. And ended up hanging with a couple guys from New York, with one of them being a Mets fan. And they were nice enough to treat me with a Pepsi.
standing near some cactus

I would take a day trip to Tucson, mainly to see a person that I knew. First, I went to Tucson Mountains, at Gates Pass. At least I think that what it was called. Anyway, I was in park with some mountains, and a bunch of tall cacti. I've never seen a cactus so tall. Strangely enough, it rained kind of hard. I never expected that in the desert. I wished I could have went to Tombstone, but it was too far away.

I went to see the friend in Tucson, and hung out for a little while. Then went back to Phoenix, to do the same as well. The next day, I would head back to the airport, and return home.

This was an awesome trip, getting to finally see the Grand Canyon and more. Hopefully, I will make a return trip to Arizona.

WalterC says:
Thanks! I hope to go back as well.
Posted on: Aug 02, 2013
Zagnut66 says:
I spent a day at the Grand Canyon in the late 90s and want to go back some day to really explore it. Great photos!
Posted on: Aug 02, 2013