Loire Valley: Tours > Mer > Blois

Tours Travel Blog

I woke up early today because we’re taking our mini trip outside of Paris. I was quite thrilled because well, I’ll be traveling around France. The TGV was cool, very smooth ride and very nice inside. Pardon me for my ‘promdiness’, but I’ve never taken a bullet train before.   So all is well, nice view, la la la.. until we get to Tours.  We have a car rental reservation with ADA.  It was a bit off the train station but we thought it’s ok because we got a cheaper deal. We actually did a very, very intensive research on this 8 days trip of ours.  When we finally found our way to ADA office at Avenue Maginot, where we had to take a short bus ride from the station, and had to walk a few blocks, lugging our carryon suitcases, the office was close! and no single car in the garage! and when I tried calling their number, it was not in service! It was totally a twilight zone moment!

I had to pull out the email confirmation I printed out to prove my competence to Claire, as car rental was my responsibility! Good thing she had her Lonely Planet France and we tried to contact another car rental office.

We found Ecoto. Funny with Ecoto, since they have the cheapest deal in Loire Valley, I tried to reserve with them through email before, but I never got any reply. Fortunately, they answer the phone when we called this time. I fumbled with my French which I hadn’t really had the chance to practice, and not that I was totally fluent to begin with you know. I understood though that he had a car available, that it is for 77euro, which is cheaper than ADA, and that they close at 12h.  I look at my watch, it was 1130h.  We had some time though we still have to find where they are located, so I just had to tell him that: S’il vous plait, vous doivent nous attendre. Nous sommes des Étrangers et nous sommes perdus!!

So we got our car at 12h. He gave us a map and we’re on our way to Mer, where our hotel, Le Clos, is located.

azzurri says:
yay, just at the nick of time ;)
Posted on: May 08, 2007
quick stop just outside the gare! …
quick stop just outside the gare!…
Tours Hostels review
I like our hotel even if it’s in the middle of nowhere. No, actually it’s between Orléan and Blois along Highway 152. The hotel is an old, big h… read entire review
Tours General Tips & Advice review
If you are ever searching for a car rental around Loire Valley and your search brings you to ADA, run! It's the most undependable car rental company. … read entire review
photo by: yasuyo