magical cute city

Nelson Travel Blog

who:
-sang with su ('lone prarie' tag at the cathedral!).
-walked around ALONE for the first time in a while.
-met andrew.
-reuinted with ulrik.

what:
-wandered the streets of nelson.
-walked around barefoot all day.
-ate yummy strawberries from the market.
-spontaneity!
-magic!
-hiked around lake rotoiti.
-listened to the bell birds' song.
-drank honeydew (bug excrement) from black birch trees.
-fed eels.

where:
-nelson reminds me of (tsk tsk) santa cruz. very cute little city, easy to navigate and walk around.
-stayed at 'accents on the park,' a fancy backpackers (hostel) on the cathedral square.
-lake rotoiti.
-the centre of new zealand.

magic:
-i was walking around, disgruntled and not wanting to wander around another city (spent too long in wellington).
i walked past a camera shop (nelson city camera) and decided that i needed to go inside to print some pictures. the guy at the counter was looking at my prints and we started talking about where i was going next, then got to talking about diving. turns out he's a very well-traveled dive instructor! then we started talking about what i was doing in nelson, i said i was wandering around bored and bummed that i couldn't get out to see nature without a car...and then his boss turned around and gave him the day off. we both laughed a little and kept talking...AND THEN WE LEFT!! the guy at the counter - andrew - took the rest of the day off and we took a beautiful drive out to nelson lakes, hiked around lake rotoiti, sipped honeydew from the trees, talked about conscious communication, and then went back to his family's barbie (bbq - teehee)! the friendship blossomed from there, and we made plans to go diving after new years!

>a ridiculous thing that i'm glad i overcame, quickly, is that when andrew first said "let's go," my thought was "oh i can't go, i haven't planned this into my day. i have to...." and then mentally slapped a hand over my mouth and went with it. wooo for spontaneity!
Center of NZ
Center of NZ
spontaneity at nelson city camera …
spontaneity at nelson city camera…
lake rotoiti