Loy Loy Krathong

Bangkok Travel Blog

A krathong sailing made for the Thai festival of Loy Krathong.
Yesterday was the Thai festival of Loy Krathong which is celebrated at full moon on the final month of the Thai calendar (usually November). It is traditional to create and decorate small rafts out of banana leaves, flowers, candles and incense sticks and set them to sail on the river. My two little cousins made us a Krathong and we used their swimming pool instead of the river as it was a bit safer. On the river there were fireworks and all the boats were lit up with pretty impressive lights.

In the evening I went out for Edward's friend's birthday. We had some nice thai food, played a bit of pool and visited the area of Pat Pong, which is famous for it's unusual and vibrant nightlife.

I was a bit tired the next morning so decided to take it nice and easy and enjoy a day by the swimming pool and planning the next parts of my trip.

As it was my final night in Bangkok we went out for dinner at the British Club. On the way there we saw a motor cyclist come off his bike which was a bit scary. The driving in Bangkok is a bit dodgy to say the least. The motor cyclist had got so close behind the car in front that as soon as it braked he hit the back and crashed. Fortunately he got up and wasn't too badly hurt. It was lucky he was wearing a crash helmet as so many of them don't.

Tomorrow I am off to the Malaysian island of Penang. It's hotter down there so I best dig out my suntan lotion!
A krathong sailing made for the Th…
A krathong sailing made for the T…
Bangkok