A nightmare of a journey

London Travel Blog

(ALEX) Things really seemed to conspire against us at the start of our trip. It started the day before we were set to leave when I just finished packing my bag and then realised that the material had already ripped in several places.

Me and Nat had made a bad choice and bought cheap bags from TK Maxx. Luckily my mum said she would buy me an early Christmas present and get me a new one. This time I got a decent one that was fit for 6 months of travel! I spent my last night repacking my bag,  rather than chilling out and going down the pub with my mates like planned.

Nat gave me a hand, and we managed to get it done and get down the pub for a couple before it closed.

The next day we woke up and started running around like crazy people sorting out the final touches. We had breakfast with my mum and Nats dad then set off to the airport in London with plenty of time to spare. When we hit the M4 near to Bath there was a traffic jam and we came to a stop. We heard a report saying that a lorry had overturned and that the road would open again in around 15 mins...

3 hours later we had still not moved at all!! At this point we were really starting to panic and started ringing the airline and the insurance company to try to find out if we would be covered if we missed the flight and to beg the airline to wait for us. Eventually we started moving again and it was a race against time to get there in time for our flight. We were supposed to be there 3 hours before the flight, but thought we would be ok if we could get there at least 45 mins before.

Me and Nat went running into the airport and hit the desk 30mins before the flight was due to take off. We rushed through check in and security and ran as fast as we could to the gate.... luckily we got there on time and there was a sigh of relief as we sat down in our seats. The only downside was that  we didnt have seats  together for the second leg of the journey from Zurich to Brazil (11.5 hours)

When we got on to the second flight I sat next to nat anyway and then the person came to sit down I persuaded them to take my seat (the person was a brazilian transvestite that didnt spéak english so this was not as easy as it sounds.

tvillingmarit says:
Puh, glad you made it through the trafic jam
Posted on: Dec 09, 2008