Eastern Europe Spring 2007

Europe Travel Blog

We Went to Eastern Europe last spring (May 10-20, 2007) still a little cold for me but I loved it! After arrival in Budapest, we took train to Bratislava, Vienna, Brno and Prague. I love the little choo choo train immigration stamps on my passport when we traveled from country to country…We then depart from Prague back to Houston.

Citadel on top of the Gellert Hill, the highest point of Budapest is Beautiful.

We took a cruise on the Danube River to Margit-sziget (Margaret Island). A very scenic and peaceful ride where you can see Buda on the left and Pest on the right. The Széchenyi Chain Bridge is beautiful! St. Anne Church and Heroes’ Square are worth seeing too.

Nice little town with unique statues -Napoleon statue, Cumil statue, Statue of Schoener Naci, Paparazzi statue..ect.  I like the fountains too!

St Stephen Cathedral is quietly sitting among the crowded Stephenplatz.

Hofburg Imperial Palace used to house the royalty from the Habsburg dynasty, currently is the official residence of the President of Austria. It was the Habsburg’s winter residence.

Schönbrunn Palace is the summer palace for the Habsburg.

Especially there is a huge garden in the area of Schonbrunn Palace and a Gloriette , made this palace even more gorgeous. The palace and garden is one of the Unesco World Heritage Site. No one should miss this when visiting Vienna.

Hundertwasserhaus - very colorful and fun looking apartment/office building.

Stadtpark ( City Park) is peaceful and beautiful. The gilded bronze Johann Strauss II statue in the park is one of the most frequently photographed monuments in Vienna.

Cant’ forget the hot apple strudel (Apfelstrudel ). We have to pay to see how the Viennese made strudel, which I think is a rip off….

We stayed one night in Brno before en routed to Prague.

Due to the time constrain, we did a half day tour in this second largest city in Czech Republic. Old town hall is the oldest secular building in Brno, it used to serve as city administration center. The Freedom Square (Náměstí Svobody ) is surrounded by unique designed building that own by the noblemen in the old days. We were amazed by how beautiful those building are, every corner we turned. One must see Freedom Square when visiting Brno.

I have been wanted to see Prague for a long time. I finally did it! Perhaps I had a very high expectation about Prague, when I was in the land I have been dreaming of, I was a little agitated by the smokes… I found myself always be in the center of people smoking. Restaurants and outdoor cafes are always full of people that smoke. On the last night before we returned to Houston, we had a very romantic dinner by the bank of Vltava River. Just when we were enjoying our meal with this beautiful river view and happy that: hey, no one smoking around us!  A few minutes later, we found ourselves surrounded by smokes again!

The Prague Castle is one of the biggest castle in the world. It also served as the office for the Emperor of Czech for many years. It consists of St. Vitus Cathedral and St. George’s Basilica.  The entrance of the castle is beautiful!

No one should miss Old Town Square and the churches and building around it. It’s beautiful.  Church of Our Lady in front of Týn, St. Nicholas Church and the Astronomical Clock -WOW

In the center of the Old Town Square, there is a Statue of Jan Hus - a religious reformer.

I love Charles Bridge ( if it was not too crowded, that would have been perfect!)