the mystic, breathtaking, haunting but deadly beach of anawangin plus the killer mosquitos! argh!

anawangin Travel Blog

me and my sidekick ben (hahahaha he will never forgive me!) adventures in anawangin!
eventhough i am living in germany, i have heard and read about this beach called anawangin through endless search of camping places in the philippines as me and ben last year were organizing a camping trip in the philippines. my friend ana also really recommended me to go to this place as she said its really surreal and different from all the beaches in the philippines. it is still uknown to many filipinos because of its inaccesibility. as i researched, i came across so many blogs of filipino campers and mountaineers who had been to anawangin regarding "the secret and mystic" beach.
the breathtaking, haunting and deadly anawangin.

i got excited about it! because it is said based from what ive read, the beach was only discovered by mountaineers 2-3 years ago. it is an undeveloped area, and most of all there an no communities thriving there as the only way to go to anawangin is to hike 6 hours of barren mountains or ride a boat in the open sea.

but not only that, it has a forest which a river runs through a forest of pine trees! breathtaking is the only word i can describe from seeing the pictures. but the beach has also an aura of mystery clouding over it. why in this place in the philippines, that instead of coconut palm trees do not abound, only pine trees?! it is also said that the sands of the beach came from one the deadliest volcanic eruption in the 20th century that changed the climate of the world and depleted much the ozone lazer - the eruption of mt.
pinatubo.

the beach is also very decieving, and deadly because you can actually go and walk in the water about half a kilometer from the shore and its still waist deep, but all of a sudden, the tide will get high, the sands you were stepping on instantly dissapear and you'll be trapped in the middle of the sea and drown. the local tribes in the area say, that there are sirens living in the sea and they once in a while needed offer, and pull swimmers down to the sea till they drown. as in many cases of people drowning and died  here in anawangin. but scientifically speaking, it is caused by rip tides which are very frequent here in anawangin.

getting to and arriving at anawangin
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the boat ride from the small town of pundaquit was out of words! the waves were already high as we sailed.
main weapon to survive! ahahahaha
taking pictures was difficult as it was a roller coaster ride with our boat fighting through the pounding waves. the barren mountains were on the left and the open sea on the right. ben and we were so noisy high fiving, laughing  and shouting as waves really pounded our small boat! ahahahaha then the boatman teased us as he really gased up! if someone has heart problems he would have died riding with us in our little boat or if someone who gets seasick he wont make it! there were sharp rocks sticking out of sea as the boatman avoided them the boat looked liked its going to tip over! but ben and me couldnt care less! another adventure for sure!

the ride took less than an hour, and behold, in front of our eyes, the barren mountains the circle around the "secret cove" of anawangin. it was really a beautiful breathtaking ride as we approached anawangin, there arent any pounding waves anymore because the cove protects the beach and sea was calm and so clear that even few meters we can still see the bottom which was really rocky.
beautiful anawangin.

approaching anawangin, ben and me looked at each other. with dissapointing looks, the beach was totally overcrowded with campers, as there are no resorts in the place because it is still undevelop, no electricity and no basic amenities, NO CELLPHONE SIGNAL and we really have to camp. the boatman dropped us off at the center of the beach wehere lots of people really looked at us as we just came from outer space. apprently the boatman will not wait for us, he told me he will come back to fetch us. i told him what time and he said at 7 in the morning which was fine, he gave me his phone number but i tiold him, how can i call or send him a message as there is no phone signal?! so its about trusting that he will come back for us! ahahaha his name was rico, and he was so shy! but in the sea, he is one of kings of maneuvering a boat.
ben is a real forest nymph aahahah! ^_^
he shyly asked me if we could give a downpayment for him of 500 pesos (8 euros) i told him of course! why not?! so i gave him the money and he said he will be back at 7 am in the morning.

when our boatman left, ben and me looked at each other with the chaos around us. its difficult to find a camping place close to the beach as they are all occupied! so what we did we walked further and further, it was so hot and not really comfortable with our heavy packs. it was no use, as we couldnt find any, and we cant set up our tent - kermit in the sands because the pegs would definitely will not hold. then suddenly a woman came to us and she said, she is the "organizer" of the area we were at and if were looking for a place she can reserve a place for us for 200 pesos. what?! i looked at ben, we had no choice, but she said we have to wait for other people to leave the place in like 2 hours, ok fine! but ben wasnt confident on the idea, he told me to stay with packs and he will scout a camping ground for us.
our campsite! gorgeous isnt it?!
i was too tired and weak from the heat and really hungry too, so i let him do that.

when he was gone, i was settle comfortably under a pine tree that gave shade to me. i opened my pack and read a book, but since its the middle of the day, i gave up and went to sleep.

i didnt know how long i slept then suddenly someone kicked me! arrghh ben! he was so excited that he found a camping ground for us, but he said its near the woods and he explored the area and there was a dry river bed near to it! so we carried our packs and waded through the sea of campers to bens place!

when we found it! it was amazing! sure its far in the beach, but with little less campers and a big space only for us! so we put down our packs and readied our little kermit for action!

setting up camp

ben took out kermit our tent, and began moving his way around, he was sort of in a trance as he was deeply concentrated to what he wa doing! ahaha i asked ben a hundreds of times if he needed help but he wouldnt hear of it! so what i did is that i took pictures of him setting up kermit! ahahha when the skeleton of kermit was finished, we both helped each other to put kermits pegs and nailed them to the ground - it was unbelievable as it only took us 10-20 minutes to set up camp!

after kermit was set up.
setting up kermit our tent! ^_^
we need to gather fires to cook. it wasnt hasd to find kindlings, as the dried leaves of anahaw plants are scattered everywhere, but we have to be careful holding it because they are very thorny. so we got about a ton of dried anahaw leaves for kindling, set the fire and our little pot into two giant corals which ben amazingly found nearby and fucking destroyed them in halves! ahahaha and then with the scattered big dry woods we heated the can of baked beans for our lunch, as it was heated, we ate the beans to fill us up for the midday.

the next step was to find dry woods for our bonfire in the night, which means we have to leave the campsite. so we put our bags inside kermit and locked her. but we got all our personal belonging with us, cards, money and digital things.

into the forest and the river

ben and me made our way into the forest, it was very beautiful and surreal, we walked through large stones and pebbles, it was a dry river bed and lots of scattered dry woods! we took so many dried woods as much we can! but we have to be careful as some of them had super huge ants crawling! there were also a bunch of people collecting dried woods but ben and me went out of their way so there would be no competition.
a kiss of death! aahahha
as soon as we got all the wood we needed, we headed back to the campsite. we put all our wood together in one place and decided to explore the forest further!

so we went back again and followed a trail of large stones! and we came to a river! it was at first a small brook thats winding its way into the large stones then got wider at some distance. there were also a bunch of people there getting curious about a huge tree that fell and made itself into some sort of bridge but too high for a bridge, the other people was still there trying to take pictures of themseles, when they were gone, ben hurriedly climbed it and ask me to take a pictures, i rolled my eyes and obliged, then out of stupidity he jumped from there to groudn with shallow water and sharp rocks! i fucking screamed at him because what he did was dangerous! but he just laughed at me! AT ME! ahahahaha

we followed the river, we were the only people brave enough to wade into the silent flowing river which seemed so deceitful! i wasnt worry about ben because he already had malaria and other tropical diseases shots and i had it when i was a child, so no worry about getting sickness from parasites.
aarrrghhhhhhh
we came across a bunch of children! god knows where they came from! but i wanted to have my picture taken with them! ahha maybe they were woodland sprites! ahhahaha

the water in the river is unbelievably different in temperature! it was waist deep, the upper layer of water was warm but beneath it was cold. we explored the river further and further! ben said, although he was dissapointed at the beach itself because it was full of campers, the river was calm, quiet, smooth and serene, he was happy with it! as we were basically alone and no one was there!

as i reached for my cigarettes in my shorts, crap! it was wet and theres no sense lighthing it arrrgh! and no sense to put anything on the short pockets anymore good thing the cigarettes were only there, ben had my wallet and mobile in his waterproof bag, and i had my camera in my hands.
two boys trying to change the cold world!
after wading through the river, we went to shore, we walked through the thorny forest for a bit before we were back at the beach again with the campers. back at our base, we ate some snack and drank because that little escapade made us hungry! aahahaha

i cant believe that its only 3 pm! the sun is still up! well we are not the ones who just gonna sit and wait till the sun sets, so we still decided to explore more! to climb the hill at the beach! but i was a little bit worried, because i wore the wrong sandals, the sand was scratching the skin of my feet between the rubber supporter. it got worse after the forest and river hike, it was bleeding inside and i already had blisters. it hurt a bit but i dont want to look like a wimp in fron of ben! ahahaha. so after a couple minutes of rest we head on to the hill!

into a beach which is probably the home of the sirens
to be able to get to the hill, we must really cross the sandy beach, it was a bit far from our campsite, ben had everything in his waterproof bag, all our belonging, the only thing thats left in the tent were our noodles, it would be pretty embarassing for the thief if he stole that! ahahaha.
the beach of the sirens!

it wasnt really good walking in the sand, because it scratches the skin in my feet, i took out my slippers and walked barefooted which felt better.

at the hill, there a bee line of people going up on it. but me and ben were fast climbers, in just 5 minutes we were already halfway and passed the huge group of people! halfway through! we had a fantastic view of the beach!

anawangin is a huge sandbar! and the river is an estuary! fascinating fascinataing fascinating! anawagin is beautiful from above, no words to describe it! then me and ben spotted a much smaller cove than anawangin from the hill. the huge crowd of people were gaining on us. before i can even think, wanted to go down the beach but no trail! he looked at me with pleading eyes. looking at him, i gave in, it is the last part of our adventure it would be anti climatic if we didnt or should i say i didnt followed my heart, which is adventurous and longing for exciting things.
one of my favorite shots!

so we did the stupid! ahahaha we climbed down to the beach with no trail! but we found out that there was, but it wasnt used anymore, so tall dried grass covered it mostly, i had difficulties going down as my feet were really hurting and stinging.  ben was alreay 20 steps beyond me, then suddenly i came across a huge gap between the dried grass! i told ben to be careful because it is huge and its a track of a wild animal! i am very sure it is a wild buffalo!

at the very end before reaching the beach, there wasnt the sort of trail anymore, we have to get past a thick mangorve forest! ben was like amazing! he was just jumping up and down! there was a steep slope about 50 feet high that we have to go down, problem was, it was clay, and its soft, so it could be slippery.
panorama of the beach we went down with the thick mangrove forest!

i was having a hard time walking, while ben was already down. as i started climbing down CAREFULLY  my foot got caught in one of the roots of the mangrove tree! and im falling on the slope! my instinct and wit helped my hand to grab a vine! but as soon i grabbed it, it fucking snapped! i really yelled at ben but he was nowhere to be fucking found!

oh my god, i slid down the slope! and i really yelled at ben! while my hand grabbed some strong grass rooted in the soft soil. where the fuck was ben anyway?!! apparently he was taking pictures of me falling! ahahahah good thing it wasnt that high, but its dangerous with the roots of the mangrove trees jutting themselves and snagging my feet!

so i finally got down, passed the mangrove forest and alert for wild buffalos, finally the beautiful and secluded opened up! oh it was so beautiful there! serene, calm, quiet and lonely  but the best -  there was no people! we had a beach to ourselves! to ourselves! and to ourselves! ben was already excited of setting up the camp here! but i told him, it would be a little dangerous, first all there were no traces of people if we have an emergency and boatman doesnt know where we were.
the mangrove forest!
also i am a bit alert of wild animals, specially wild buffalos because they really charge at people. it would have been so beautiful just to sit there, alone - ok with ben! but i will send him away somewhere! ahahaha.

ben was fascinated at the beach, the top layer of the sand is gre-white in color but the bottom layer is black! i told him, it is probably black the natural color of the beach and as the ashes from the volcanic eruption 20 years ago, it covered the black sand with white-grey ashes.

we just walked through thr beach and watched the darkness crept slowly. i told ben to go back now, but he looked longinly at the place. he really liked it. im sad, because we have to go, but happy, that me and ben's adventures never seemed to end!

going back up, i had no difficulties, but my feet were bruised and stinging, but you know? having experienced something beautiful and seeing ben's happy eyes, i endured all the pain - but every now and then i cursed and complained! ahahahaha.
me climbing down! my feet got snagged, bruised and bleeding and ben was just taking a picture of me! ahahaha

back at the river and the attack of the killer mosquitos! arrrghhhhhhhhhhh

when we got down from the hill, we decided to go back to the camping site via the river again. the sun was setting and the water in the river was getting cool. but me and ben were having the time of our lives!! ahahaha all the camper looked at us as we looked so crazy playing in the river! ben found a pine cone and were playing catch and throw in the river! my skills were a bit rusty but i can still manage to keep up with ben! ahahaha! we played catch and throw until we came to the middle, there ben used his waterproof bag to float.
the shell cried.
suddenly, it became so quiet and i dont like it.

i told ben to go to the shore, because i dont feel comfortable with the river anymore, i became nervous. but ben being ben was being hardheaded, but for me its impossible also to go to the shore, because i dont trust wading out of the center of the river to the quiet part of the shore.

then suddenly i saw a white thing moving! i really screamed that it was a fucking snake! ahahahahahahaha i didnt dared to move! then ben came hurrying, as we both came near and looked at it! it was a white root sticking and moving in the transparent water! ahahahah thats it! i told ben no matter what, im going to shore! im a fucking wimp that time! but better be a wimp than be sorry! ahahaha.
black sands.
he went to the shore too and through the forest we made our way back  to the campsite!

back in the campsite, we built bonfires, then suddenly millions of mosquitos came to us!!!! arrrghh!!!! i was panicking frantically! as i had never been attacked by this huge amount of mosquitos my life! remember we were in the jungle! ahahahaha.  ben was laughing at me! then suddenly mosquitos came too and attacked him! ahahahaa then its time to take out our weapon! ben had jungle spray! ahahaha we bathed in jungle spray instead of bathing in the beach that we hadnt done! we also sprayed inside and outside kermit to keep the mosquitos away from our tent! ahahahah ahahahaha as we did that ben made a string line to dry our clothes! oh dear, its really a jungle episode for us!!! hardwork but fun and adventure!

from the fire in our pot, we boiled water for our noodles, and we decided to eat on the beach on the fading light.
bonfire at sunset!
so we locked kermit again and brought our noodles to the beach. there we ate the noodles... then talked about life in general. talked about how strange, how adventurous and how we battled through the nature going around the philippines. it was really really really an amazing time. i wouldnt trade it for anything else. it seems like, everytime we were out, the rain stops and let us enjoy the adventure! because today - a typhoon supposed to be coming but a typhoon wasnt in sight!

as the sun set in the dark orange blue horizon, i smiled. a smile that was full of contentment, of enjoying life to the fullest.

we headed back to the campsite, at about 9 pm, we decided to sleep as we have to wake up super early tomorrow as our boatman, rico,  will pick us up at 7 am.

lauro says:
sayang kasi ba na ngayon ang anawangin :( hindi na pwede mag bonfire. tas ang dami dami dami ng tao :((( hanap ulit ako ng ibang beach pag uwi ko ng pinas! hahaha
Posted on: May 14, 2010
Daive says:
we went to Iba side in Zambales (further down the road)...same sand, more people, no view though, like the hills and valleys in your pics...but no mosquitos hehe! ;) but would have preferred the view you got and will just place lotsa OFF lotion! :)
Posted on: May 13, 2010
lauro says:
go to anawangin! NOW before it becomes so commerciliazed and eventually turn into a beach resort!
Posted on: Aug 31, 2009
me and my sidekick ben (hahahaha …
the breathtaking, haunting and dea…
the breathtaking, haunting and de…
beautiful anawangin.
ben is a real forest nymph aahahah…
ben is a real forest nymph aahaha…
aarrrghhhhhhh
two boys trying to change the cold…
two boys trying to change the col…
one of my favorite shots!
panorama of the beach we went down…
panorama of the beach we went dow…
the mangrove forest!
me climbing down! my feet got snag…
me climbing down! my feet got sna…
enjoying our noodles! ;P ahahaha
one of my favorite pictures.
one of my favorite pictures.
front beach of anawangin - too cro…
front beach of anawangin - too cr…
the mouth of the estuary.
the mouth of the estuary.
ben kicked my butt here literally.
ben kicked my butt here literally.
we found children in the forest! a…
we found children in the forest! …
young pines.
young pines.
this hill served as our shelter.
this hill served as our shelter.
trees from our campsite.
trees from our campsite.
we gathered so much fireqood to la…
we gathered so much fireqood to l…
ben setting up camp!
fantastic color!
fantastic color!
so surreal.
so surreal.
a surreal setting in the philippin…
a surreal setting in the philippi…
soft hues of green in the pine for…
soft hues of green in the pine fo…
my favorite picture, soft hues of …
my favorite picture, soft hues of…
only in europe i can find this col…
only in europe i can find this co…
very european!
very european!
me and the woodland sprites! ahahh…
me and the woodland sprites! ahah…
me and ben! ^_^
me and ben! ^_^
its like autumn in europe!
its like autumn in europe!
im sure they cut this poor tree fo…
im sure they cut this poor tree f…
clear blue sky!
clear blue sky!
i dont know what ben was doing her…
i dont know what ben was doing he…
dried mushrooms!
dried mushrooms!
close up of dried mushrooms!
close up of dried mushrooms!
deep into the forest!
deep into the forest!
ben in the forest!
ben in the forest!
river flowing through large rocks.
river flowing through large rocks.
ben so happy!
ben so happy!
we finally found the river!
we finally found the river!
strange fruit! or forbidden fruit?…
strange fruit! or forbidden fruit…
me in the river :P
me in the river :P
:P
:P
ben jumped through this with sharp…
ben jumped through this with shar…
the dark forest!
the dark forest!
creepy roots of trees in the shore!
creepy roots of trees in the shore!
looks really european nature!
looks really european nature!
ben the poodle! ahaha
ben the poodle! ahaha
clear reflection.
clear reflection.
one of my favorite pictures!
ben was surprised that im stalking…
ben was surprised that im stalkin…
bens reflection.
ben's reflection.
arrrghhhh go away! ahhahaha
arrrghhhh go away! ahhahaha
stalking ben again! ahahaha
stalking ben again! ahahaha
hahaha i dot know what im doing ac…
hahaha i dot know what im doing a…
we came across this gate!
we came across this gate!
forbidden entrance!
forbidden entrance!
a skull of a whild buffalo called …
a skull of a whild buffalo called…
the forest behind us.
the forest behind us.
skulls of tamaraws!
skulls of tamaraws!
me and ben!
me and ben!
anawangin from the hill!
anawangin from the hill!
funny stretch of white sand but it…
funny stretch of white sand but i…
vegetation up the hill!
sunset!
sunset!
up the hill!
up the hill!
beautiful anawangin from above.
beautiful anawangin from above.
yo!
yo!
the other secluded beach.
the other secluded beach.
the secluded beach! we must go the…
the secluded beach! we must go th…
we climb down here.
ben alone!
beautiful aquamarine water!
beautiful aquamarine water!
the mangrove forest!
the sandbar of anawangin!
the sandbar of anawangin!
one of my favorite pictures!
this one too! bens shirt stood ou…
this one too! ben's shirt stood o…
the river of anawangin!
climbing up at the hill!
climbing up at the hill!
bonfire!
bonfire!
hahahahahaha our clothes! or shoul…
hahahahahaha our clothes! or shou…
i love it!
i love it!
bens dirty poodle toes! ahaha
ben's dirty poodle toes! ahaha
enyjoying our noodles by the beach.
enyjoying our noodles by the beach.
anawangin Sights & Attractions review
mystic and haunting but deadly beach of anawangin.
anawangin is one of the most recently discovered beach spot in the the philippines. it was discovered by a group of mountaineers a few years ago. … read entire review
anawangin