the city in colonial philippines that is most loyal to spain, but first, lemme have that seafood!

Iloilo City Travel Blog

palangga, ben and manay boogie (my aunt)
"la muy leal y noble ciudad de iloilo" (the most loyal and noble city) was the nickname of iloilo city given by the queen regent of spain, maría cristina de borbón-dos sicilias in 1890 at the height of the spanish colonial period in the philippines.

but before that, a little bit of hiligaynon dialect, as i will be using this as i write the blog entries from iloilo. it is also a sign of respect for the elders and letting and telling the children to respect the elders.

in iloilo, where the dialect, in my opinion is the most beautiful in all the philippines, has a tone which is beautiful for the ears to hear but sadly i dont speak it but i can understand it, my mom never taught me how to speak ilonggo! arrrghhh nevertheless, i love her.
palangga, me and manay boogie

ok, let me start some small bits that i will use to write in the blog entries: inday is a term for a young girl, toto is a term for a young boy, manay is the word for madame, manoy is the word for sir, palangga or pangga for short is the term for beloved or dear.

ben and me arrived in santa barbara airport at around 6 pm, but we got out just before 7pm because it took awhile before our luggage came out. we met my aunt, manay boogie and my nephew, palangga.

santa barbara is a bit far from the center of iloilo city, it took us almost an hour to go to iloilo city! and i was really really hungry! i was about to faint inside the battle truck! hahahaha. but ben was so excited! he really felt that he was inside an island! i just rolled my eyes and i told him that eventhough he was in the capital manila, it is situated in an island itself! hahaha.
ben, me and manay boogie.
i had the chance to practice and speak german to my aunt! because it was a long time since i hadnt spoken it! quite dangerous, because i need at least to hear german or i will forget it easily. but it was difficult too ay my sentence construction was horrible! hahahhaa my aunt couldnt barely understand it and i sometimes couldnt understand her because her german is mixed with schwäbisch dialect! aaarrghhh so we switched to tagalog or english but sometimes bits of german! hahahaha.

then manay boogie's sister, manay lala, already reserved tables for us to have dinner in a restaurant overlooking the beach, which i raised an eyebrow.  because iloilo city is known for it's "snobbish" side in the philippines, eventhough the people dont have enough, they would still spend lavishly on things.
manay lala, palangga, me and ben!
lots of hacienderos and silent rich people live here as it once before the capital of sugar cane industry in the philippines and asia in the spanish colonial times.

my aunt was very excited to show me around iloilo city! because she knows i was here when i was just a teenager! 15 years ago! ahahah, but i told her, i m gonna die and i needed food in my stomach!

so after almost an hour drive we finally managed to get into the center of iloilo city, it was already dark, almost 8pm. we crossed the iloilo river, which i am dying to see in daytime!

we arrived at the restaurant, which was so fucking poshy! it is located in a beach promenade not far from fort san pedro, similar to intramuros in manila, a fort to protect the city from invaders, but it was so dark, that i couldnt see it.
hahaha as you can see my aunt's wired up! hahaha

inside the resto, i felt so well, hmmm i wasnt dressed properly with shorts, a tshirt thats almost breaking up and slippers, but i remembered, my mom is half spanish and ilonggo and I HAVE HER BLOOD, hahahaah so i walked in with an aire of an ilonggo, chin and nose up. hahahahahah. that was crappy! hahaaha. ben couldnt care less, well because he doenst know anything! ahahaha.

anyway when we where there, i met manay lala, whom i last met when i was only 7 years old i think! oh my god it was such a long time ago! she used to make stars made of bamboo strips for me when i was a child! we greeted each other and i introduced ben as a shipwrecked half israeli and british that i picked up somewhere in europe. hahahaha kidding!

so its gonna be an exciting dinner! because we are to choose from fresh seafoods that were swimming helplessly in the giant aquarium waiting to be cooked!

it was really expensie there and i dont know how much money i have, but thank god i have my atm so i can withdraw easily if we ran out of cash.
our fresh seafood!!!

we picked abalones, giant tiger prawns, milkfish, miso soup, fried rice, fried rice with crab fat and spicey vinegar with lots of chillis as dip!

we waited for our order to come, and we chatted! i know my aunt quite well, as i always visit her in summer and autumn in germany, but ben and my aunt really got along well! well, my aunt is already european as shes living in germany for amost 20 years! so they chit chat like 2 old ladies! ahaha

then manay boogie and manay lala arranged a place for us to stay - FOR FREE! and i told them, no! of course we will pay we are backpackers! hahahaha. but my aunt wouldnt hear it, this is what i hate visiting in iloilo. because they spoil me here so much. eventhough im an adult that can produce a baby anytime, they still treat me like a baby here! arrrrghhhh.
seafood galore!

when our orders came, there wasnt a single word for me and ben as we devoured our meal! hahaha we were so hungry! but i only eat the giant prawns (which was like 120 pesos per piece!!! oh my god! 2 euros) and we ordered 12 of it, because i said so. hahahaha and the milkfish which was grilled in marinated vinegar! my mouth watered as i ate it together with fried rice and a dessert of the largest yellow mangoes anyone can see! i felt i would float in the sea if someone threw me as i was satisfied!

then manay lala's colleague came, manay jeanneth, who is the head of the hotel and restaurant management department at the western visayas college of science and technology, where my family is associated.

so apprently they arranged a room for us! and manay lala even said if we want to check in at sarabia manor, which is the most expensive hotel in iloilo, she  can do it for us for free! i said hell no! hahahaha we slept on the tent and spartan accomodations and it was enough for us, we like simple living, i was really embarrased! ahahahaha i told them i am not a child anymore! ahaha

after dinner, which my aunt paid, which me and ben were embarassed, but she wouldnt hear it.
we were both fucking satisfied!
we followed manay lala and manay boogie together with palangga and manay jeanneth to the road truck, manay lala drove and she showed us smallville, a part of iloilo city for nightlife of the posh kids, but i told them, me and ben are living a simple life. we want to be happy with simple things, like counting how many locks ben has! hahahha.

anyway after we toured iloilo city at night, it was time to go to bed, as tomorrow we plan to go to guimaras island, the island next to iloilo and island hop to siete pecados islands!!! we were so excited!

lauro says:
arrrghhhhh!
Posted on: May 30, 2009
vodkaphix says:
Wow!
Posted on: May 29, 2009
palangga, ben and manay boogie (my…
palangga, ben and manay boogie (m…
manay lala, palangga, me and ben!
hahaha as you can see my aunts wi…
hahaha as you can see my aunt's w…
we were both fucking satisfied!
manay lala, palangga, manay jeanne…
manay lala, palangga, manay jeann…
inside the truck! lol! haha