12.8.08 Tikal to Finca Isabel

Poptun Travel Blog

12.8.08    Tikal to Finca Isabel

We’ve died and gone to Heaven!  We’re enjoying the wonderful ambiance of the fabulous Finca Isabel.  Let me set the scene for you.  We’re sitting under archways of an outdoor porch.  A colorful hammock is looking inviting one arch over.  We’re at a 12’ long wooden farmhouse talbe.  I see 4 more just like it.  There is soft Spanish music with a good beat just loud enough to add to the ambiance.  A couple in love snuggle in the mahogany chairs nearby.  I’ve just tested the delicious Guatemalen beer, Gallo Cerveza, and deem it very nice.

We’ve hiked to the pond where more hammocks and wooden chaise lounges await, we’re parked under the trees, we’ve delivered our laundry to the house next door for pickup tomorrow, we’ve signed up for dinner tonight at 7 pm, and Shawn has given us a tour of the place.

Tikal Mayan Ruins, Guatemala
  He speaks English, as he’s originally from Madison, Wisconsin.  We’ve logged all our purchases on page 74 in the Honor notebook.  People from all over the world are arriving (oops!  I was just briefly interrupted writing this by a nice couple from Switzerland who speak French).  The kids are writing postcards to friends, which we can mail from here.  We’ve gotten postcards before but couldn’t figure out how to get them mailed.

I supposedly can get wi-fi here, but I cannot figure out the router.  Maybe by the time I go to send, their IM guy will be done checking people in and help me.  Otherwise, I’ll use the USB stick and their computer.  I’d love to IM Ned as it’s been so hard getting through by phone.  We left a message yesterday for him before we left Belize.  With all these services in this divine jungle location of peace, we are in Heaven!  Definitely a two nighter or more!

We enjoyed Tikal this morning.

Beautiful Guatemala
  It was magnificent and beautiful.  We climbed the wooden staircases on both Temple 11 and the famous Temple IV for a fabulous view.  We walked 3-4 miles to get to and from the site, so we were glad we went in the morning.  The sun was very hot when it came out.

Everything is very rain foresty and humid.  It rains a few times a day and then the sun comes back out.  Nothing dries.  That’s one reason we’re so thrilled to get our laundry done with a real dryer.  We do not have the option of self-service laundries south of the border.

We were a bit surprised by the $22 US per person entry fee that we had to return to the RV to scrounge more money.  If you’re planning this journey, bring U.S. cash!  $1500 U.

Ciao at the lovely Finca Ishobel
S. would not be unreasonable to have as an emergency stash.  We changed $100 U.S. yesterday with the money changer, but it wasn’t nearly enough.  ATM machines have been very difficult to find.  I finally found one at a gas station just before Finca Ixobel.  Also, I did find a gas station that took Visas.  For a “cash economy,” getting cash is not easy!  Gas, by the way, was about $3 per gallon in Belize and is 25 Quetsnels in Guatemala, which, divided by 7 or so is over $3 per gallon as well!

We met a nice Australian couple this morning headed to Panama, Gareth and Julia.  They are van camping and we hope to see them along the way.  They’d just arrived at Tikal.

Also, if you go to Tikal, save your receipt for parking!  We stuffed our somewhere and twice they seemed to need it as we were exiting, but when we showed them our bag of receipts and tried to explain that we “pago con propina” (paid with a tip) they laughed and let us by.

Jazy at the lovely Finca Ishobel

Remember, pets are not allowed in the National Park.

We also stopped by Canopy Tours and talked briefly from the rig with Alberto, who seemed to understand when I mentioned Bill and Annette Halberstadt from last year.  That was fun!

So it was a few hours over mostly excellent roads from Tikal to Finca Ixobel.  It wouldn’t be that far for cars, but we’re slow and enjoy the journey.

Okay, I cannot seem to get my computer to recognize the wireless network, so I’m going to have to use their computer.  Bummer.  I also recommend not getting a Vista computer before a trip.  Skype trouble, network difficulties.  I love Moose, my computer, but get a small one!  The smaller, the easier.

Oh!  There is a little 3-wheeled covered scooter around here that is used as a taxi and I want one!  I’m sure I could pick the kids up from school in it.

Also, people walk so much here!  We do too.  We laughed to think about the kids walking home one mile from school.  Three friends’ Moms stopped them along the way to ask if they needed a ride.  The next day, kids at school were asking if they had ride troubles because they were walking.  One mile!  And I even met a friend one time when she was walking to the store and I stopped to ask what in the world she was doing.  People just don’t walk a quarter mile in Texas!  That seems so hilarious to us now.

Okay, running to update before dinner.  Lots of fun here!  Hope to catch up on emails soon.

Poptun