An interesting journey

Levuka Travel Blog

Levuka, Ovalau, Fiji
The bus from Nadi to Suva was a four hour trip, that wasn't too bad. Got  a window seat, so was able to get a nice breeze. The coach was $12. On arriving in Suva it was raining and I couldn't be bothered to wait for the Ferry Bus (mistake 1), so I got a taxi. I said that I'd like to go to a hotel near to where the ferry leaves for Ovalau. Ok - he said $50 but could I do him a favour - he wanted to go to his house to fill up with diesel, I said yes (mistake 2). I had a funny feeling that he was going to take me to his house, drug me and take out my kidneys. When we got to his house in the suburbs, he got out and I locked my door and kept a VERY close eye on what he was doing - he was actually filling up his car with diesel (not sure why we couldn't have stopped at any of the petrol stations along the way).
View from bedroom

The trip resumes and we start making our way to the ferry-crossing hotel. It starts raining quite heavily and he tries to wind up his window, but it gets stuck. So - he pulls out a big knife (bye bye kidneys, after all) but uses it to push his window up. I was pretty concerned at the time and was going to ask him to give me the knife, so that I felt a bit safer. We get to the town/village where the hotel is and he stops outside a supermarket, saying that I can get out to get some food - yeah right, so you can drive off with my bags. Maybe I should have been more relaxed about things at this point, but the knife was still on my mind. I turned down the shopping-experience and said we'd move on to the hotel. We turned up at some ramshackle hotel, that looked like they'd closed down for the season.
Levuka, Ovalau
I decided that we should then move directly on to the ferry for Ovalau, as that was departing in the next hour. The road to the ferry was more suitable for a 4WD truck, than the taxi driver's ancient car. I thought we were going to go off the road at several points, as his car was sliding around in the mud. Anyway - got to the ferry just in time and got on board.

To be continued......

On arrival in Ovalau I realised that I should have taken the Bus Ferry, as the bus just drove off the boat and headed off to Levuka. I had to wait for another bus to arrive at the port - cue an hour's wait. A strange American bloke, who had moved to Fiji (and become Fijian) started talking to me, despite my best efforts to not catch his eye.
Levuka, Ovalau

The bus eventually turned up, just as it was starting to get dark. The roads around Ovalau are an interesting experience - maybe not quite as bad as driving round hair-pin bends in Switzerland or Greece, but exhilarating nonetheless. The road skirts around the island, right next to the sea.

Arrived into Levuka in the dark and tried to find the Homestay (I hadn't booked). I walked up and down the high street a couple of times, before finding a policeman to ask for directions. He pointed me in the right direction and I started walking off, but couldn't find the road that he'd mentioned - so I started walking back into town, only to meet the policeman coming towards me. He was super-friendly and walked me to the Homestay. The police in Levuka are very friendly - some people drop into the station for some kava drinking!

I then walked up the stairs to see if I could get a room. After a couple of "hellos?" one of the owners came down and sorted me out a room. I then had a one or three beers with the owners (read the Levuka Homestay review) and they ordered me a pizza. An end to an interesting journey - I really slept well that night.
Levuka, Ovalau
Fiji nutters playing rugby.
Fiji nutters playing rugby.
Levuka airport. Plane landing.
Levuka airport. Plane landing.
Bird hiding.
Bird hiding.
Levuka Hotels & Accommodations review
Luxury and fabulous breakfast
The most clean, comfortable and enjoyable stay I've ever had. The hosts John and Marilyn are superb, and go out of their way to help you out. The brea… read entire review
Levuka