Cruising around on a quest for 'Hairy Cuws!'

Isle Of Skye Travel Blog

This morning Matt left early for his bus back to Glasgow. I was asleep and missed him so didn't get to say goodbye. It was great to have met him and except for one small whiplash incident, he did a great job driving us around Scotland! When Anna and I had gotten up we went for a walk around the town to check it out and get a coffee/hot chocolate. The weather was fine but chilly! We decided on driving north around the coast today, check out the Island and make a few stops. Kilt Rock Falls and Dunvegan Castle were two we were keen on. We were also keeping a keen eye out for the 'Hairy Cuws' - Scotlands famous highland cows. As Matt had left, Anna was now driver, myself up front, Bondy in the backseat keeping himself amused with Family Guy Episodes on his IPod.

It was relaxing, driving around the Island, the new Kings Of Leon our soundtrack for the day. We found Kilt Rock with no problems. With Cullin mountains in the background, the cliffs overlooking an endless ocean boast a waterfall, where fresh water runs straight into the ocean. Its quite pretty, the landscape rivaling that of the Irish Cliffs of Moehr. We wandered up the coast, also stopping at a viewing platform. I was keeping an eye out also for Basking Sharks which are common along Scotlands coast but with no luck. We were rewarded though when we finally came upon a small herd of 'Hairy Cuws!' that were lounging around on the hills. Anna and I got pretty excited, jumping out the car to get closer and take photographs while Bondy rolled his eyes from the backseat, mutterung under his breath.

Kilt Rock Falls
We stopped for lunch at the Dunvegan Castle visitor centre which was average but we didn't need much. We didnt go in to see the Castle as it seemed like a bit of a tourist trap. We drove a little further up and found a good vantage point where we could look back and see the Castle.

We headed back to our hostel in the late afternoon and then had to decide on dinner. We didn't feel like going out and thought that perhaps we could just get a good Scottish Fish and Chips!! So Anna and I went for a wander to where Id seen a fish and chips sign the day before down near the harbour. Bloody place had closed down though!! And that happened to be the only one in the town. WTF? It seemed impossible that the only tourist destination on the Isle, only had one fish and chippie, when they had a continous supply of fresh fish! Disheartened, Anna and I went to check out a place where we'd seen a 'Chinese' sign, thinking that was our next best option.

Hair Cuws! Hairy Cuws!!
We couldtn find it though, only the Idian place. Some lady in a nearby building must have spotted us skulking around and from her top story window, asked what we were looking for. We asked her if she knew where the chinese take away place was. She pointed to a fenced off pile of rubble. We looked at it and back at her a little perplexed. She told us that all the buses that park up in that area dont bother to lock up as it's a safe little town, what could people possibly steal? Some kids had gotten in one night and taken of the handbrake, causing the bus to roll back into the little chinese place, effectively demolishing it. Bugger, there went our chinese! So we traipsed off to Somerfields, opting for microwave meals and packet pizza.

It was our last night on the Island so we were going to get an early night as we had to drive back to Edinburgh the next day to have the hire car back by 6pm. So we hang around reading, Bondy playing on his laptop or awhile before we enjoyed another shower and went to bed.

Skyes coastline
Skye's coastline
Anna and I with our lil hirecar.
Anna and I with our lil hirecar.
Dunvegan Castle in the background