Crossing the Skye Bridge

Isle Of Skye Travel Blog

Eileen Donan Castle

The drive to Isle of Skye was gorgeous. Very picturesque. Lots of Lochs, ruins, colours, mountains and sky. We stopped for a stretch of the legs at Eileen Donan Castle which is a very popular Castle in Scotland. Its set out in the water, accessed by a bridge. It has a romantiscm about it which was quickly dashed when we learnt that it was a replica and the original had been lost way back in about the 18th century. I suppose it couldn't help it, the feudal history of Scotland has been the death of many great landmarks. The Castle that stands today was re-built in 1930.

After a walk and round of picture taking we got back into the car to continue our journey through the *Kyle of Lochalsh and onto the Isle of Skye. We crossed the beautiful Skye Bridge and were now on one of Scotlands many Western Isles.

Bridge to Eileen Donan.
I had looked up some different hostels on the Island, hoping to stay 2 nights but in 2 different locations. So after driving through Kyleakin, we continued our drive to where our first hostel was situated... We found ourselves, after a scenic drive, in the middle of nowhere, unable to find our hostel and running out of road.. the road we had taken led straight into a loch!!! Ahaha, that quite funny. We realised that it was pointless out here, there was nothing around for miles.. so we proceeded to Portree - the Isles capital. On the drive to Portree was passed an elderley man on the side of the road standing beside his car.
Skye Bridge
He seemed to gesture to us, so Matt pulled over. Bondy and Matt got out to see what the problem was and it turned out the man wanted help moving a sheep into his car. I thought it was a dead one, it was almost funnya t first, til I saw that it was alive and had been mauled by a fox. By the horns, Matt and Bond led it over to the car where it was lifted into the back. Hopefully the poor thing was ok!

Portree's a quaint little harbour town but even as the capital, it's tiny! Population of possibly 500? Haha. We found our hostel and parked up. They had room thankfully but Anna and I were put into one dormitory, with Bondy and Matt in the other. The hostel owner was very chatty, bald and a little on the weird side. But he seemed helpful enough and the hostel was very clean, one of the nicest Ive been in! That night we wandered around the small town square and found a pup in which to have a meal.

Matt, Bondy and the sheep!
Matt and I were a little ambitious, him finally trying the Haggis, myself opting for a vegitarian chili. You think by now I'd have realised that I dont do spicy!!! Haha, Matt claimed his haggis was highly unappealing and left most of his. We had a few drinks there and then wandered up the road to check out another pub where some good music was playing over the speakers, though the place was mostly empty. We had another few drinks there before the bar lady kicked us out. We made our way back to the pub we'd started out in as that was the only one now open in the town and found a small band was playing. So we had another drink and enjoyed the music and atmosphere until they closed up aswell!

Back at our hostel we decided to loiter in the dining room playing some board game which was so frustrating that I've actually forgotten the name of it. It requires you to answer questions. Anna and I as a team failed miserably as neither of us know much about the UK other than essential travelling facts. It was pretty shocking! That night I had the best shower I've had in my entire year! The water is sooo soft and the water pressure brilliant. I stood there for ages just letting the water massage my back. It even tastes good! And the mattresses werent too bad so after my shower I had a pretty decent sleep!

hannah-lou says:
It was a memorable part of the trip :)
Posted on: Nov 28, 2010
samhodgetts says:
hope you enjoyed the sheep lol
Posted on: Nov 22, 2010
Matt, Bondy and the sheep!
View from our hostel in Portree.
View from our hostel in Portree.
Running out of road!
Running out of road!
Chasing the setting sun to Portree.
Chasing the setting sun to Portree.
With the Scottish gentleman.
With the Scottish gentleman.
Portree