Beginning of the Roadtrip

Inverness Travel Blog

Beginning of our roadtrip!

That morning we all groggily woke up, missing breakfast cos we overslept! WE eventually got up, packed up our stuff and loaded it into luggage storage in reception. We all wanted a huge, greasey breakfast. To the Standing Order - a Wetherspoons. It was a good 15 minute trek from teh hostel but we were all looking forward to that big, cheap breaky. We needed it. We got there and waited around for ages to order. Bondy was keen to get in a strongers to wake himself up (the boy constantly stinks like booze!). I had to laugh when they refused him, sayign they didn't serve alcoholic beverages before noon. Too funny - not for Bondy however who had to make do with an orange juice. Also he hates, baked beans. Somehow his order of a big breakfast, plus toast but with no beans resulted in him getting an extra portion of beans!!

We all sat around, slowly enjoying our big, greasey breakfatss.

Forth Bridge
I enjoyed my vegie breaky although it was tough work trying to eat through it all. We sat around for awhile, chatting and reminding each other of events from the previous night. Then Derek and Bryan realised they had planes to catch, Lori had a train, and Ashley, Bondy, Anna, Matthew and I had to work out how to get to Inverness. I'd spoken to the receptionist at the hostel that morning and he said the only place we could hire a car was at the airport. So I was keen to go straight there. But Bondy said we could catch a train to Inverness for like £10! We went to the train station and founf out it was about £30. Bondy didn't realise that they're cheaper online and during the week. So for some reason we went to an Internet Cafe so Bondy could double check that we couldn't hire a car from the city.
Valleys of the Highlands
Duh! Eventually it was suggested we taxi to the airport.. Hooray! We got there in about 20 minutes, and within the hour were finally in a lil VW on out way north!

It was  beautiful drive to Inverness, sweeping scenery of all the colours of Autumn, rivers running by the roads and amazing views from Forth Bridge. It really was an amazing ride. Matthew kept the car and an enjoyable, fast pace, with only the small mishap of almost getting stung by a camera. The brakes were slammed on so hard and I couldn't help but look around for a Kangaroo for I thought surely that or some other animal was the cause for the sudden halt. Hahaha, more likely would have been deer than kangaroo. Matt apologized profusely for the whiplash and we kept going. Bondy was the first to flake out, navigator asleep in the front seat.

Scottish Folk singers in Hootenannys.
I sat there in the back just staring out at the scenery. I was tired but it was too beautiful to sleep through.

We made it to Inverness at about 6pm. It was cold, and we wandered the city looking for our hostel after we'd parked our car at a supermarket. We found the hostel and checked in. We headed back to the car, found a closer place to park and unloaded all our gear. We got back to the hostel, we had a 10 bed dorm to ourselves. We came in though to find all the beds unmade. Hmm.. dodgey! So we requested our bed sheets etc. Matt found a nasty looking pillow which looked like it was stained from a nose bleed. For some reason the boys were convinced it was period blood - real mature! Haha. We tried to set it up, pickign the most hygiene looking sleeping sheets. I was greatful to my sleeping bag which is a constant companion to me.

Inverness Castle

We then went next door for dinner, it was a cheapish chain pub and we had a good feed there, the others all having Sunday roasts! Then we went on to a bar I'd been informed of from Lindsay - an TB staying in Inverness. She was away and couldn't join us unfortunately. The bar is called Hootenannys and it is quite a traditional venue for Scottish music. The night we got there, a trio of male folk singers were on the stage, entertaining a packed bar. We got some drinks and stayed awhile, chilling out to the music. It was good quite good, folk songs and ballads sung in harmonies. We hung around there for awhile and decided to leave when the singers took their break. We hunted around for another decent pub, but the one we found was nice but playing terrible and exrtremely loud music.

Roadtrippers scouting pubs in Inverness
So we decided to wander around the city, down to the river. From the river we saw the beautiful, illuminated castle perched high on the banks. The bridges were quite pretty, so we crossed the river and found a little pub on a corner and settled in there for a few more drinks. It was a good night, nice and chilled out after our big weekend in Edinburgh.

We left at about 1am, deciding it was definitely time for bed, especially as Matt had to be up early. Parking was free overnight til about 8am, then had to be moved. We didn't want to risk a parking fine so it would be an early start. This didn't bother me much as I looked forward to walking along the river in the morning, seeing the city by daylight.

Bondy2007 says:
'Bondy was the first to flake out, navigator asleep in the front seat. I sat there in the back just staring out at the scenery.' Chalk that up as another lie!! Anna and you were first to go!! Also i had an excuse - i was the only one drinking in the morning!!

as for the '(the boy constantly stinks like booze!)' bit...i thought i smelt appley! Still smelt better than you aussie! ;P
Posted on: May 18, 2009
matthew says:
It was period blood. Seriously! Either that, or it might have been blood from whiplash... (Sorry)
Posted on: Jan 24, 2009
Valleys of the Highlands
Scottish Folk singers in Hootenann…
Scottish Folk singers in Hootenan…
Inverness Castle
Roadtrippers scouting pubs in Inve…
Roadtrippers scouting pubs in Inv…
Bridge crossing the River Ness.
Bridge crossing the River Ness.
Driving into Inverness