Mountain Biking in Romania

Sinaia Travel Blog

Bottom of the Hill
The next day from Brasov I took a bus/taxi thing down south through this really beautiful valley through the Carpathians to the town of Sinia. I had the plan of going for a hike or a mountain bike ride on the plateau above accessed by cable cars. It's up over 2000 meters. I stopped in a shop that had beautiful, fully suspensioned bikes for rent. Except they weren't allowing the bikes on trails!!?? I asked what the hell the mountain bikes were for if they weren't allowed on mountains? I left. I checked into a pensione and then found another place that could care less where i took the bike so long as I brought it back (read crappier bikes). But I didn't care.
So up the mountain I went. Two cable cars later I'm standing at the top of a treeless mountain (above the tree line) with no clue where to go and no map.
I start to wonder if this was such a good idea. But there's no place to go but down! So there's a map on the wall that I take some pictures of to have with me since they don't sell any and off I go. I am looking for the trail down and down I start going. But there are no signs and soon what I thought was a trail starts to disintegrate. I am not going the right way... So I have to hike my bike back up the hill because the hill is so steep that every time I try to ride up I get up on the back wheel and nearly tumble my way down the mountain instead of ride. But after some trial and error I find the right trail.
Except the 'trail' is at times a wide erosion canal that, for my skill level, is unrideable. And this is when I nearly start to cry. But then I find the fire road or construction road or the better trail. Whatever. I am happy now. I can ride (even though I'm still a little over my head...it was REALLY steep in parts!) and that is all that matters.
So in the end I was on the mountain for a few hours, having taken a while to find my way to begin with. And by the time I got down it was getting a bit late so I returned the bike and headed back to my room and which was so comfy I didn't leave until the next morning.
Inside the cable car
Inside the cable car
See the cable car shadow?
See the cable car shadow?
See the castle on the edge of town?
See the castle on the edge of town?
Top of the first cable car
Top of the first cable car
The trail map
The trail map
I want to come skiing here!
I want to come skiing here!
Trail/road