Back to the Old Church

Dumaguete Travel Blog

First order of the day was to check out the Cathedral, one of Dumaguete City's attractions. Also known as the St. Catherine of Alexandria Church, the cathedral was first built in the early 18th Century and was used as a garrison to protect the city from Moro attacks from the southern region of Mindanao. It's one of the oldest churches in the Negros region and though it's undergone a number of restorations, it still boasts of European architecture. More prominent, however, is the belfry that stands next to it. Not quite sure exactly when this was erected as there are various accounts depending on what you read. Suffice it to say that it was built between the mid 17th-18th centuries, and was used to alarm the townspeople of invading marauders.

With that out of the way, I made a few calls to see if a trip to Bais was still sensible. It's not a very long bus ride from the city, but the main point of going was to check out the dolphins. Unfortunately, although the resort I had planned on staying at was open, I learned that due to the weather forecast, the boats would be dry docked the whole day (and possibly the next) so as it turns out, hopping on a bus would prove pointless.

That idea scrapped and on to the next destination - Apo Island. The waters were pretty rough on this day but not enough to keep the boats ashore, thankfully. I took the bus to the Malapatay market in Zamboanguita. The ride only took all of 45 minutes, but it was a shame that it wasn't Wednesday - the day when the market comes to life. Just as well, I only had time to change into shorts in a nearby shed (again, the waters were rough and I didn't feel like getting my jeans soaked) before the boat arrived to take me to the island.

Dumaguete