A Humdrum Evening

Dumaguete Travel Blog

Promenade along Rizal Blvd.
There's so much ground that can be covered in just five days. The trip's agenda included Dumaguete City, Apo Island, Bais and if time permitted, the creepy yet enchanting island of Siquijor. This time of year can be tricky as it's still part of the wet season though I had just come from Camiguin a few days before and the weather was perfect. Hopefully the weather gods will remain cooperative.

I arrived in Dumaguete City late in the day. Checked in at a hotel by the Rizal Boulevard, one of the city's most happening landmarks, and took a stroll down its promenade right by the sea. One of the many points of interest along this strip is the Silliman University. One of the more distinguished universities in the country, it was founded at the turn of the 20th century by American Protestant missionaries and is renowned as one of the best schools in Asia for Marine Biology.
Siliman University
Too bad I didn't find the time to venture inside as it was already late.

Aside from this, there are lots of bars, restaurants, hotels around here but my favorite feature, however, would have to be the majestic trees that form a canopy overhead. It's particularly pretty at night when the lamps that line the stretch are all lit up and the place gets transformed into a huge outdoor tapas bar by the sea thanks to the nocturnal vendors that set up shop along the boulevard with a variety of local snacks and delicacies on offer. I helped myself to some penoy (undeveloped duck eggs similar to balut sans the chick) which I haven't had in a while. I prefer these to balut since there's more to relish without having to deal with an oftentimes repulsive looking chick.

After having had my fill, I spent the rest of the evening strolling around, checking out the cathedral by the town plaza. More on that tomorrow as it's clear that the place would be better viewed during the day. I headed back to the Boulevard and knocked back a few beers before finally turning in.

Rizal Blvd.