Of Waterfalls & Thrift Stores

Iligan Travel Blog

Tinago Falls
So I crossed the bridge and zipped the line. If that wasn't adventure enough, I jumped on a bus bound for Iligan to check out a number of waterfalls. It was quite a ways off. Maybe another half hour (or an hour? It's been almost a year and a half since the I made the trip) to the bus depot then 2 hours to Iligan and another hour in a hired car to the resort where Tinago (Hidden) Falls, the first on the agenda, was located. The weather was uncooperative and by the time I arrived, it was raining cows and chickens.

Everyone had huddled in the tiny shack of a cafeteria at the resort as the rain pelted down. You could tell the resort had seen better days and that the only thing attracting people to this place was the Falls.
Tinago Falls
There was nothing else anyone could do at this point but wait for the shower to let up before descending 300 steps down to the viewing point. I must've waited for an hour when the lady running the cafeteria noticed my concern. Standing around wasn't getting me or anyone anywhere and I had to catch a bus back to the Cagayan de Oro. She was kind enough to have her kids escort me down with a giant steel umbrella that had broken off the table it had been originally attached to, explaining that getting rained on wasn't an issue for them, but more if I was cool with the idea of braving the downpour. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of her kids doing that for me seeing how young they were, but I did have a schedule to keep and coming all this way in such terrible weather for nothing would've been an utter waste of everything.
Tinago Falls
It was a good thing that the kids expressed their eagerness to take me so I graciously accepted the offer.

Down we went the winding staircase by the mountain that led to the basin below. As we neared the bottom, the sound of the thundering rain was drowned out by that of the waterfalls. It was hard to see through all the vegetation at first but once in clear view, I had half the mind to just jump in and completely regretted not bringing an extra change of clothes. The waters were cascading dramatically from the top of the ravine some 70 meters high and into a gorgeous deep blue pool. For the first time, I didn't care how cold the water would be, I just so wanted to swim.

But without anything to change into, there was nothing else to do but take in the view for another ten minutes or so and head back up. The shopkeeper greeted me as her kids and I returned and advised me to stop by one of the Ukay-Ukays (the now ubiquitous second hand stores which originated all the way up in Baguio) on the way to the bus terminal. It was unfortunate that I ran out of time for the Maria Cristina falls, but at least I was no longer drenched. Ukay-Ukay, you are my savior.

I made the bus on time and crashed immediately when I arrived at the hotel. The very next day, I was back home in Manila sporting lovely bruises, a reinvigorated spirit and some new old clothes. Hoohah!

ihopper23 says: