Betlog the Brave

Cagayan de Oro Travel Blog

I want my mama!
First part of the day was spent at the Macahambus Adventure Park, about half an hour by car from the city. While most people go there for white water rafting, I wanted to try the canopy walk across a 150m high gorge and back via a zip line. Why I do this to myself when I have a tremendous fear of heights, I don't really know. And as usual, I was close to chickening out. Bokkk!

As I arrived and scouted the area, the first thing that greeted me was a shrill "I want to do again! Again, again, again!" I turned around to see that the source of the voice was coming from a little 7 year old who had just jumped off the concrete landing after doing the zip line. Okaaaay. Little Braveheart there just just sealed the deal for me.
150m drop. Don't look down!
If he can do it, so can I. So I slapped on a brave face and got all geared up. Yeah, yeah, so we were made to wear a harness as a security measure but that didn't help any. My hands were sweating up a river as my knees trembled with every single step. Not that it was some rickety old bridge. On the contrary, it was well built and properly hoisted but I try as I might to keep my eyes on a focal point ahead, I still ended up taking quick glances at my feet just to make sure they were going where they were supposed to. Harness schmarness. I was totally oblivious to the safety the it provided.

It was a three-part bridge and inasmuch as I looked forward to reaching every platform, the worst part for me was actually walking up to them. Those parts were much shakier and you could hear every creak with each movement.
Wheeeee!
Ack. Thank god for antiperspirant. And the absence of jumpy little kids.

Miraculously, I conquered the suspension bridge without a hitch. It was now time for the zip line. The usual thoughts invaded my head. What if the thing snapped? What if my skinny ass slipped off the harness? What if a gorilla pounced on me from nowhere...? I wanted to back out last minute, but that would only mean having to go back the same route I got there, all 123 meters of knee-knocking fear. Yeah, sure. Left with not much of a choice, I got hooked up and was ready to go. 14 seconds I was told, and I knew it would probably be the longest 14 seconds of my life. But as soon as the guy pushed me off into the wild, I glided past the trees and before I knew it, I was approaching the landing - and a concrete wall! That sure was some joke of a stopper. I wonder if anyone's smacked into it like a fly. But thankfully there were people to catch you to prevent the very thing from happening and I landed in one piece, unscathed by the experience. And if it weren't for the bloody suspension bridge, I'd do it over and over again!

abubu says:
gusto ko din pumunta jan. :(
Posted on: Jun 04, 2009
I want my mama!
150m drop. Dont look down!
150m drop. Don't look down!
Macahambus Adventure Park