Enchantment on a Lazy Afternoon

Camiguin Travel Blog

Camuigin Island
The geography of the Philippines is such that it can take as short as 2 hours to get to anywhere by plane. Seems like a cinch until you realize that there's a lot more traveling involved than meets the eye.

Such was the case when I flew down to Camiguin to spend New Year's Eve. The flight from Manila to Cagayan de Oro took an easy 1.5 hours, 20-30 minutes by cab to the Agora bus terminal, an hour to the Balingoan Port and finally another 1.5 hours to the island of Camiguin. A bit daunting in black and white, but patience does have its rewards.

The island of Camiguin is a far cry from Cagayan de Oro, which I found even more polluted and filthier than Manila, and the chaos just as bad if not worse.
Enigmata Treehouse
Camiguin, on the other hand, is devoid of any litter whatsoever. The main road, smoother than those in Manila, is free from those little sari sari (variety/convenience) stores that can serve as major eyesores or even. There are no plastic bags fluttering about in the air. As I made my way towards my lodgings, there was nothing to see but the ocean all around, modest houses amid green lawns - some behind quaint fences, and lush vegetation everywhere, with nothing but clean air to breathe in.

It was a very pleasant 30 minute drive and I completely enjoyed every minute of it, just soaking in the views.

The place where I stayed couldn't have been more complimentary to its surroundings. The Enigmata Treehouse is exactly that - a little hostel built on a single tree.
Mantigue Island
What kind of tree it is, I'm sure I asked, but I'm afraid I can't recall. It's a towering three (or was it four?) stories high, which affords its suites multi-level lofts. But even more striking is the fact that it is also home to an ecologically-minded arts community that aims to "open the eyes of people through biodiversity and art education (through popular media for the conservation of art and culture in Mindanao ) as a venue to develop a deeper sense of relationship with nature, responsibility and accountability of the world's resources."

Turning off the main street into the dirt road whose corner is marked by the Enigman already hints at what to expect of the place - an enchanting little arthouse inside and out.
Bangkas
From the entrance, to the rooms, to the gardens, are works of art, large and small, scattered all about. I'd been asking around where to stay in Camiguin and though some have suggested other more comfort-driven resorts, I was quite happy to have found this place. It's a curious one and nothing like I'd ever stayed in before.

After checking in and getting a few minutes' rest in my loft on the top floor, the gracious host, manager and creative director, Ross Zerrudo, offered to take me to Mantigue island for the afternoon. I appreciated the gesture and accepted right away. Besides, I had nothing planned for the rest of the day so the timing was rather perfect as I had not really known about this islet to have included it in my agenda.

We set off for the dock not too far away and hopped on a bangka. It was a fairly short trip and made it to Mantigue in no time. There's not much to do on the island but enjoy a stroll around it. There are a number of good dive spots I'm told, but I wasn't particularly in the mood to snorkel at the time. The next couple of hours were just spent lazing around before an early night back at the Treehouse.

Enigman