Visit to a former big city

Wilmington Travel Blog

I am still not really ready to drive all the way to Charleston so I make one more stop a bit down the road in Wilmington. During the revolution this was the only major city in all of North Carolina. And during the Civil War the city escaped the destruction so many other southern cities suffered. Hence it is possibly the best place in the state to go look for old southern style buildings in all of North Carolina.

And the houses in Wilmington are certainly grander than the house of the little cozy town of New Bern. Along the main streets are several big houses with just the southern style I would imagine at a place like this. The main part of the houses is on a few streets which make them all within easy walking distance from wherever you park your car.

The only small disappointment is the waterfront.

North Carolina battleship
I thought there would be some great sights down at the waterfront because this must have been the center in the old days. But today there is not really much down at the harbor it is all a bit further inland - except if you are looking for a place to eat. Though when I went down to the harbor I got a glimpse of a giant ship. The USS North Carolina a giant battleship which participated in many naval battles in the Pacific during WW II and today it is retired and you can go onto the ship in the state it is named after.

Bumping my head on the doorways onboard a ship because they probably have design them only to accommodate dwarfs do not sound all that appealing hence I skip the biggest attraction in town. Every other attraction is tiny compared to this one.

Well time to head towards Charleston if I want to be ready to tour the city tomorrow.

photo by: vances