This capital is not quite as big

Annapolis Travel Blog

The capitol building

After heading Washington yesterday I want to go to a smaller capital this morning - hence I take the short drive to get to the capital of the neighbouring state of Maryland - Annapolis. It is one of the oldest capitals in all of the US and supposedly a very nice little old town. And I have found that so many of the old towns in this part of the US have no reason to envy the environment in most of European towns.

I get out there after about ½ an hour’s drive to get there. I got there and found a place to park at the visitor centre where they very conveniently had a nice little map of the sights of the city. It looks fairly small hence it should be walk able.

I go down a small street towards the church around which everything in the city seems to evolve around. It is a nice little church and there is the traditional courthouse right next to it. Then I head down towards the harbour but in general this city is not really all I expected from it is a bit boring compared to Washington and some of the major southern cities like Wilmington and Charleston. But just as I am thinking about heading out of town I go down to the government area where I get to see the governor’s mansion and the capitol building plus a number of other administrative buildings which is the most interesting part of the town.

Well all in all this tour of the town did not take very long and I decided to head back to DC before I had to go to the airport.

sylviandavid says:
Mickey, I haven't traveled enough... I should have known that.... I need to retire so we can go go go. Sylvia
Posted on: Dec 13, 2008
tj1777 says:
Well thats not really true. Many of the big cities in Europe is dominated by pretty young buildings - and in my hometown you struggle to find any houses older than a couple of hundred years because it has bombed and burned during the time.
Posted on: Dec 13, 2008
sylviandavid says:
Our "old" isn't very old compared to Europe... I'm glad the governor's mansion saved the day! Sylvia
Posted on: Dec 12, 2008