Dinner in Intercourse

Intercourse Travel Blog

The founder of Pennsylvania William Penn was a very progressive man for his time. He had been given the area covering present day Pennsylvania by the king of England as his private property making him the largest private land owner in the world. And he started to create an area with unprecedented religious freedoms. Hence people who were persecuted because of their religion in Europe found a refuge in Penn's new colony.

This gave a huge influx of people of all kind of different religions - like the French Huguenots, Jews, Mennonites and most famous of them all the Amish. This is the reason why you in present day Pennsylvania find an area called the Dutch country - named after the Amish because they spoke Deutsch (German) which were misspelled like Dutch.

I get to this strange area after dark when I drive towards Philadelphia from Gettysburg. After I reach the small town of Lancaster I get to the Amish homeland. And in the dark this area is strange - driving through an area with lots of houses - but most of the houses got no or very limited light because of the Amish refusing electricity. Hence even after dark you can see that the people living here must be different.

Meeting a horse buggy on the road with its lamps on the back just underlines the strangeness of this area. The other strange thing about this area is - the names of the cities. Lancaster is sort of a name you can say you are used to hearing as a city name. But here the other cities are called - Smoketown, Bird-in-Hand, Paradise, Fertility and the spot where I had my dinner - Intercourse. The stories of the names of the cities are not all that well known today - but apparently Intercourse got its name from the boring fact that the city was placed where the two main roads of the area crossed each other.

I get my dinner in a small place before heading down the road to go to the big city - the former capital of the USA and the most historic city of the country - Philadelphia.

arlene0725 says:
I took ALOT of photos of the Amish horse & buggy. They are surreal just like the movie 'Witness.' My GF and I even went to the local Intercourse wine store and bought a couple of PA wine & champagne.
Posted on: Feb 12, 2009
sylviandavid says:
I love that you saw horse/buggy with lights.... how cool is that? Sylvia
Posted on: Nov 16, 2008
vances says:
No pictures of the greatest place on Earth???

jk --- this is where I grew up! :^)
Posted on: Nov 14, 2008