City trip to hot Athens
Athens Travel Blog› entry 1 of 1 › view all entries
I went on a four day city trip with my mom to the city where the Olympics became famous: Athens. It's a tradition since three years to visit a city together each year, because my dad hates going to cities and any thing that has to do with culture and history, and my friends don't have time or are broke always. Those reasons are not the only ones, we don't see each other much, so it nice to have some mother-daughter quality time and in combination with travelling is that a lot of fun.
I have a bad memory and if I don't write down what I did and saw after a trip it's lost...
So here is a shortlist of things I went to see, have done and experienced:
* We flew early morning from Amsterdam to Athens with KLM.
* Our hotel was in an Asian neighbourhood in a really narrow alley where rats and cockroaches crawl over the streets...
* First thing to visit after arriving was the Acropolis, hiking up and having a great view over Athens.
* Watching the sun set on the Acropolis is beautiful.
* The Plaka is the touristic area with many small restaurants... Psiri is the other area where you have to go... Souvenirs and t-shirt shops...
* I love Greek food!! Especially the Tzaziki! The local beers are fine too :-)
* Last day we went on a boat trip to a small Greek island, Aegina, and spend the day wandering around and tanning on a small beach.
* We went in June and it was already hot hot hot in the city! Even locals complained about the heat.
* We had to pay extra money for using the A/C in the hotel room... pffff
* I went partying two nights in the bars next to the Asian neighbourhood.
* My mom joined me the first night, at 1.30am I brought her back to hotel and after that I went back to the bars. Can't remember much of it...
* Breakfast was 9 am.... autsj...
* We went every where by foot and we 'hiked' to several touristic places as the Olympic Sports Stadium and the National Parc.
* In the National Parc wild turtles hide between the bushes, but they do make a lot of noice, so it's not hard to discover them.
* We went to see the Royal Palace and the guards just changed their shift. Impressive the way they walk and act like statues for hours...
* History and art more than enough! It's all about the ancient myths. I like them!
* Spending three days in Athens is nice, four days time enough to spend time in the surroundings of Athens.
* Taking the subway down town straight to the airport is really easy and convenient!
Well, this is what I remember from it... If I find some more facts, I'll add them later. I will have a talk with my mom, she always remembers the smallest facts and stuff like that!
I do know that I had a great time and that Athens is a really nice city to explore. Definitely worth going to. In June might be too late, because temperatures already start to rise above 30C/90F...