Krabi

Krabi Travel Blog

What can I say....this place is gorgeous!  As pretty as Halong Bay, Vietnam (but far cleaner), I think it's probably my favorite spot in Asia.  Me, my fiance and a friend and his girlfriend spent a great Memorial Day weekend in this fantastic place.  The only drawback was that our resort was located far from everywhere (had to take a car 30 minutes from the main city and port and then a private boat and tractor ride to an otherwise deserted island on the bay).  It may suit some people, but nightlife and accessibility were difficult.  At any rate, once we got to the main docks, we were able to hire a boat for a day of sightseeing and snorkeling around the two Phi Phi islands, Bamboo Island, and some other interesting places like Tub Island.

Little Phi Phi is most famous nowadays as the filming location of the movie "The Beach."  A once quite bay lined on almost all sides by verdant hills, it's now swarming with daytripping tourists.  We were quite unhappy when our boat driver (for some reason we still don't understand), decided the waters were too rough to drop us off at the bay proper and instead had us get off in a far more dangerous adjacent bay with waves crashing over rocks and the small cave-like opening we had to cross in order to get onto the island itself.  Both my fiance and my friend's girlfriend nearly drowned in the crashing waves on the return trip (in addition to being pummelled on the rocks) and they were only saved when a kayak came to take them across to the boat.

Phi Phi Le (little Phi Phi)
  My friend and I are decent swimmers, but not in that water and not with girlfriends who can't swim!  Our boat driver however partially redeemed himself by taking us to another amazingly beautiful isolated bay on the East side of the island where we chased schools of flying fish across the glass smooth surface.  This place is beautiful beyond description!

Afterwards, we stopped at the "Big" Phi Phi island for lunch, and then onwards to intriguing Tub island.  When the tides are out, Tub is actually two islands with an exposed sandbar that connects them into a single island.  In high tide, they get separated into two islands with a shallow connection.  We got there somewhere in the middle, with only a foot of water separating the two.  Around us, schools of fish swarmed and we had a great time snorkeling, running around, and enjoying a few hours in what has to be one of the world's most beautiful locations.

Finally, we finished the day snorkeling around Bamboo island seeing rainbow fish and vibrant coral.  Although I've snorkeled the superior Red Sea and Hilo (Hawaii), this location can't be beat for its combination of underwater life and above-water beauty.  It's a place I could live the rest of my days happily.

doing the Wai at the resort
doing the Wai at the resort
our resort pool
our resort pool
Our resort pool
Our resort pool
coral off Bamboo island
coral off Bamboo island
fisherman (taken from the resort p…
fisherman (taken from the resort …
Islands in krabi