Maderas Beach - SJDS

San Juan del Sur Travel Blog

Thursday, November 06
Well today was relax on the beach day which was good because yesterday I was uncharacteristically not feeling all that well and today was even worse.  The way my stomach was rumbling made downtown Baghdad look calm.  We made a big breakfast at the Villa and then Bosco dropped us off in town at a local surf shop and negotiated a ride for us out to Maderas Beach which is supposed to be one of the better surf spots and quite pristine.

After a bit of a wait, we crammed into a very crowded four wheel drive vehicle with a bunch of other travelers, most of them a bit more budget oriented and European than us.  One couple had come into San Juan to buy groceries since they were living in a small hut on the beach which they said was less than special but nice and remote.
Maderas Beach

The road out to Maderas was unbelievably bad with ruts and holes and water crossings and everyone was holding on for dear life.  We did eventually make it to the beach which looked really nice and agreed with an Austrian couple and the driver that we would all meet back there later that afternoon for the return trip.

All of the surfers were hanging out at the south beach so we walked for ten or fifteen minutes down the beach, across some reefs to the far northern end of the beach (which I think is called Pitahaya or something �" at least that’s what the sign on the Bungalow said.)

The surf was actually really fun and, after a brief nap on the beach as evidenced by the picture Cindy snapped of me lying on my back in the wet sand, we body surfed for quite a while.
Bungalow at Maderas Beach
  The water was warm and the waves were actually more than ankle slappers which made it fun.  Unfortunately, the Bungalow with what appeared to be a Tona fridge didn’t have any cold beers so we had to suffer with just bottled water ?

At the end of the day, we walked back to the surfer end of the beach and relaxed at the local dive restaurant drinking beers and watching the surfers (as well as one of the traveler’s who hooked up a tight-rope between two coconut trees and was trying to entertain the surfer chicks…).  The Austrian couple came back and we all bounced our way over the dirt path back to San Juan before heading up back to the Villa.  We cooked a big dinner but I was still feeling pretty crappy so I can’t really remember if it was all that good �" still nice not to eat in restaurants every night.  Tomorrow we are heading back to Managua with a stop in Masaya at the market on the way.

Sunset at San Juan del Sur