A Quickie in Montpelier

Montpelier Travel Blog

The Captiol Building in Montpelier

It was only a short twenty minute drive to Montpelier. The afternoon was slipping away and we still wanted to tour Ben and Jerry’s today. I had forgotten what time they stopped giving the tours, so I called them. The recording said they closed at 7 PM, and the last tour was a half hour before. That gave us plenty of time to take the tour, but not plenty of time to see the place in daylight. So, it looked like we were going to have to cut Montpelier short. We pulled in about 4:45, and knew that even if the capital was open, it would be closing pretty soon. So we found a place to park and snapped a couple of pictures of the building. We didn’t do it much justice, but it couldn’t be helped.

Also in Montpelier are Hubbard Park and the 50 foot tall stone tower.

Closeup of the dome
I figured it would be worth a stop to check out. The park looked very pretty, with tons of trees. I thought we might get some nice pictures. Well, that didn’t work out. We drove straight to the park, but we couldn’t find the tower. I had a park map, but a road that I thought we should take was closed. Maybe it was pedestrian only, but I didn’t see a sign. As this was only a maybe stop, we blew it off and headed back to the highway.

I wish I could have spent an afternoon in Montpelier. It is a very nice looking town. Even though it is the state capital you don’t feel like you are in a big city. That would undoubtedly be, because you are not. Montpelier is the least populous state capital among the 50. Its population is only 8035 according to the 2000 census. It looks to be a great city to walk around in, and the downtown area, while not exactly a hot bed of entertainment, looked to be fun to sight see around, and have a nice meal. Who knows? Maybe opportunity will present itself in the years to come. But, for now it was on to ice cream nirvana.

Montpelier