Moore, Moore, Moore. How do you like it?

Littleton Travel Blog

Moore Reservoir

Our next stop was unscheduled and even unplanned.  Our first “real” destination of the day was the Ariel Tram at Cannon Mountain, NH, in Franconia Notch State Park. That was about a two hour drive from Hardwick, the normal amount of time Margo and I usually spend in the car before one of decides we have to pee. It sucks getting old, but short of wearing Depends or a catheter, what are you gonna do?

But, I digress. We had only driven about an hour, when we reached the Vermont/New Hampshire border. And as soon as we did we came upon a very picturesque valley and view of Moore Reservoir. What was equally important is that the great state of New Hampshire had chosen this spot to put a Welcome Center, so it was almost impossible for us to just drive by. We pulled off Interstate 93 and into the parking lot and went immediately to the task of try to take a few good pictures.

Moore Reservoir, I later found out, was created by placing an earthen dam, Moore Dam, across the Connecticut River, back in the 1950s.

A little more, Moore Reservoir
We did not see the dam. I’m not even sure if it was visible from the Welcome Center. But, it was very beautiful and the weather was cooperating very nicely today. The weather reports of just a week earlier had suggested today was going to be cloudy, maybe even some rain or snow, and grey. But, it wasn’t the morning was cool, but not cold, with a brilliant blue sky, and plenty of sunshine. I don’t know enough about photography to tell you if these are prime conditions, but if they’re not, I’d settle for what we got.

We took as many pictures as we figured we could without running too much of a risk of repetition, and then we headed inside. Kretzer Rule #1 for Road Trips states that if you stop, you go to the bathroom. So we did. But, we also had the opportunity to grab some flyers for the places we planned to visit in the state park and a New Hampshire map. You can never have enough maps. You might not always have the right one, but you increase the odds if you don’t pass a free one by.

We probably only spent 15 or 20 minutes at the Welcome Center, but we really did need to get moving. I had wanted to be at Cannon Mountain when it opened at 9:00 AM. It was already half an hour past that, and we still had another 20 minutes or so of driving. But, it was definitely worth the time spent.

More, Moore Reservoir