Flights and Hooters

Boston Travel Blog

Me and the Girls. Tyler is one in black.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

We had to start very early today. We have a 6:00 AM flight so our goal was to be at the airport by 4:30 AM. That meant leaving about 3:45 AM. That required us to be up by 3 AM. Good times. I hate mornings. I’m not one of those people who have to be up by 7:30 or think I am wasting the day. I don’t really sleep in, even on the weekends I’m usually up by 9:30. But getting up at 3 AM is just wrong. Luckily when you are doing that to start a vacation it kind of takes the edge off.

Everything went more or less as planned. Jessi (my daughter) and Pete (boyfriend) drove us to the airport. I was surprised at how busy it was on Sunday morning, at this hour. But busy is a relative thing and we got checked in and through security quickly and with no hiccups. We even had time to grab something to eat on our flight.

We left as scheduled. I used frequent flyer miles for this trip which means unless you are flying to a hub city, you are guaranteed a layover. Ours was in Dallas. We got in and as usual when flying into DFW our flight was delayed. I can’t remember the last time I flew out of DFW on time. But, luckily the delay was only about twenty minutes. We touched down in Boston about 2:45 PM. We grabbed our luggage and then found the shuttle to Thrifty to get our rental car. Renting the car at Thrifty was a bit of pain. The counter staff evidently earn some sort of commission when they sell the various insurance packages. This trip I was planning to decline coverage. But, Juan, our agent spent 5 minutes giving me the horror scenerio if we got in an accident. I might have succumbed to his pitch, if the tactic wasn't so blantant and brazen. I held firm and resolved that Juan would not get  his $20 commisison (or whatever) from me, even if it cost me $500. I don't like to be pushed. On the plus side, we were doing pretty well, schedule wise.

Before heading to Concord, NH, where we would be spending the night we planned to eat dinner. It is kind of a tradition for us to eat at any Hooters restaurant that is convenient. This started back in 2002 when we took our Hawaii vacation. We were tired after a morning and afternoon of site seeing and were looking for a place to eat. We saw a Hooters and decided why not. They took very good care of us, even showing off their policy of taking pictures with the girls. I got one of those and Jessi got some Hooters logoed clothing. Now we repeat that whenever we can. I get a pic and Jessi (even if she isn’t on the trip) gets a shirt or something.

There is only one Hooters in the whole state of Massachusetts. Not very enlightened if you ask me. It is in the Boston suburb of Saugus. We got a great waitress named Tyler and when Margo asked her about a picture (I got a great wife, huh?) she not only agreed, but started a rhythmic clapping that gathered several other scantily dressed ladies. I had the hard part. I had to stand in the middle of these women and smile. Rough work, huh?

It was all downhill from there. We drove to Concord, getting there just after the sun went down. We checked in, watched a little TV and went to bed. Tomorrow would start the sight seeing.

Tessagirl23 says:
Congrats on being featured :D
Posted on: Nov 08, 2008
shirlan says:
Your hard work paid off and you have been featured! Congratulations
Posted on: Nov 08, 2008
tj1777 says:
well 3 AM is not morning - it is night so you did not really have to get up early in the morning.
Posted on: Nov 03, 2008
Me and the Girls. Tyler is one in …
Me and the Girls. Tyler is one in…
photo by: bubu932