Lunch in the old town

Bath Travel Blog

Street scene

Darryn and Kim had got away on their honeymonn and the rest of the friends and family were all returning to where they belonged.

I was still staying with Kay but it was almost time for my own departure.

I had to return the suits to Bath so when I planned that Kim's brother John suggested he come with and we'd have a bit of a look around the place.

We took the bus from Thornbury to Bristol and jumped another through to Bath.  I found the place to drop the suits and then John and I wandered about the Old Roman town.

John wasn't as much of a tour guide as he'd made out.  He didn't know too much about the place and didn't really know his way around very well either.

Which way?
  As a result we didn't see very much in the time that we had before we needed to grab our return buses.  One thing about being out in Thornbury, if you missed the last bus then it was an expensive taxi ride or a night in a Bristol hostel.

We were in Bath for lunch anyway so one thing we did see was the inside of a pub.  I sprung for a couple of pints and a doorstep sandwich for each of us before we did some more wandering about the town.

I did manage to find a signpost with plenty of arrows pointing to various sights but John didn't know how far anything was or whether we'd get the sightseeing done in time to catch our bus.

I decided to give the whole thing up and plan a return visit when I could do some homework about the attractions to be seen.  It had been a good idea but I had put too much stock in what John had said he knew about the place.  I think he'd only been here a couple of times and that may have been years earlier or perhaps when he was on a bender with some mates!

I had to leave the area next day anyway so it had been a last minute idea to take Bath in since I was going to be ther.

Next day I was off to Oxford to catch up with another friend I'd met in 1993.

photo by: Hummingbird