Don't all my travels start here?!!

Bunbury Travel Blog

Chatting to the fisher woman on the Bunbury Boardwalk

On my first big "Overseas Experience" (1992-93) I flew direct from Auckland to London.  24 hours in an Economy Class plane seat.  Being 184cm makes that hard going!
  A total of 36 hours of travel including far too many sitting in transit lounges in Sydney, Perth, and Singapore.
I won't do that again so now I break several hours off the front of my trips by stopping in at Bunbury to catch up with my Aunty and my Nana.

I spent a week hanging with them this time and it was the perfect way to ease into the whole travel thing.  Minimising jet lag, reducing the long haul, and of course seeing my dear family!  Spot on!!

3 years had passed since I was last in the UK.

Bunbury Grain Silos. In 2006 these were being turned into apartments.
  My mate Darryn was there when I first went over and he had stayed on after I made my way back.  Over those 3 years he had met an English Rose, fallen in love and were now planning on getting hitched.  The call had come from him that I was to get my butt over there and stand beside him as his Best Man.  I didn't think twice about it.  I'd have been gutted if he hadn't thought of me to fill that position!

My own 3 years hadn't been too uneventful either.  I'd been elceted as the President of the Tokoroa Amateur Operatic Society, I'd started another little theatre group in town, changed my roles at work a couple of times and enjoyed the company of some local girls for a month here or there.

Two of my friends in NZ had tied the knot earlier as well and whilst I was attending their wedding I met a friend of theirs who had come over from England for the event.
Wild is the wind. Busselton
  I thought she was rather nice and we were writing to each other regularly.
  I was also writing to several of the friends I had met on my first trip around the globe 3 years earlier.  When I told them all I was on my way I was delighted to get such positive responces from them.  I could see my three month trip was going to be a blast!

There was a sense of relief about getting away too.  Tokoroa had taken me as far as it could -I had outgrown my little hometown.  When I returned to New Zealand in September I was going to be starting a new job as a Traffic Constable in the city of Hamilton.

The guys at the Tokoroa Police Station threw a monster party for my departure.  I also had a huge night at the Operatic the same weekend, so with friends and workmates now having given me a good send-off I was more pleased that I only had 6 hours in the plane to Perth where my Aunty collected me from the airport for the 2 hour drive South to Bunbury!

I had an easy week.
Big rocks. Bigger waves! Augusta
  Half wanting to get going and see my friends but also taking time to just chill and get used to being back on the highway.

I took in a couple of the sites around town and Margaret also took the opportunity to load up the car and shoot down the coast on a day trip here and there (Here being Busselton, There being Augusta).

I had a couple of items of clothing I needed to purchase too.  Bunbury doesn't boast great shopping but I was able to find what I needed without too much trouble.  I was all set for the next leg.  It had been a while coming but there was no looking back and this trip actually meant a huge change in my circumstances too as I would not be returning to familiar ground at all.

Let's get going then...!

Chokk says:
Congratz on the feauture:)
sincitytraveler says:
Hey Chad congratz on the feature! Hope you are having a great weekend my friend! :)
KeikoCreative says:
Hey congrats on your featured!
Posted on: Dec 12, 2008
Chatting to the fisher woman on th…
Chatting to the fisher woman on t…
Bunbury Grain Silos.  In 2006 thes…
Bunbury Grain Silos. In 2006 the…
Wild is the wind.  Busselton
Wild is the wind. Busselton
Big rocks.  Bigger waves!
Augusta