Coitus Interruptus With Magayon

Albay Travel Blog

Mt Mayon and Cagsaua Ruins
I woke up early and anticipating to travel for 3 hours to see the jewel of Bicol - Mt. Mayon, another national icon. I would be doing this trip all by myself and a book, ipod and few sticks to kill time. We had a quick breakfast in my friend's place and then traveled for 30 minutes from the town of Calabanga to the city of Naga. I split with my friend who was going to school and I went to the bus terminal right away. Upon arrival at the station, I flagged a small bus going to the direction of Legaspi City and would pass by the town of Daraga where the Cagsaua Ruins is.
Look Ma, No Mayon behind the ruins
This is the best place to view Mt. Mayon.

Still on the bus, I was able to get a glimpse of Mayon from afar. And from that point, I knew that it would be very cloudy and was very anxious that Mayon would not be displaying it's almost perfect cone to me. Dubbed by some to be more beautiful that Mt Fuji, my expectation for this volcano was quite high.

Anyway, Mayon has been introduced to me (just like any Filipino kid) since I was in elementary school. If asked to draw anything, it would be simple for a school kid to either choose chocolate hills where it would be very easy to draw several conical mounds or Mt Mayon, where one just have to draw a mountain with almost perfect cone then added some palm tree on the side, and the belfry on the other side. Mt. Mayon which appears to be benign due to its smooth cone is actually a wolf in a sheep clothing.
It is the most active volcano in a nation with hundreds of volcanoes, having erupted 47 times since 1616, the date of the first recorded eruption. Mayon is classified by volcanologists as a stratovolcano, or composite volcano. Its symmetric cone was formed through alternate pyroclastic and lava flows.

Legends were told how the volcano was formed. Though the most famous one is the love story of Magayon and Handiong - the story akin to that of starcrossed lovers - Romeo and Juliet. However, the ending is different. The legend says the families buried the lovers separately. Months passed when Magayon’s family saw a volcano growing in the place where Magayon was buried. They named it for Daragang Magayon. “Bulkang Magayon” describing its perfect shape like their beautiful Daraga.

I have been this fascinated to this volcano ever since I learn about her in school.
Since I am out of work right now, I decided to finally see Magayon and explore her beauty. I have no intention of climbing the volcano, I would like to appreciate her beauty from afar. And the best place to view her is from Cagsaua. A church in Cagsaua, built Spanish Fray Francisco Blanco, O.F.M., was buried by rocks and lava during the eruption of Mayon Volcano on February 1, 1814. Only the belfry was left of the church. The main stracture was buried forever together with the thousands of people who took shelter from the church thinking that they would be safe from the looming danger from the angry volcano. The church and the governement refused excavation of the site, which I totally agree with. Let's keep the buried, buried.

I arrived at the ruins two hours before noon. Half of Magayon was covered with thick clouds during that time.
Wishing that I would be able to see that perfect cone, I stayed there for almost 5 hours, doing basically nothing. With no one to talk to, and just a book to pass the time, I constantly peeked to the volcano like a lover patiently waiting for his partner to uncloth. Every passing hour, my tension built up as I was losing time and I wanted to go home satisfied. The shy Magayon refused to unveil herself to me. She wanted me to visit her again in the future.

My friend joked (via SMS) about my disappointment. He said virgins are the only people who cannot see the peak of Mt. Mayon, and he was teasing me of being a virgin... well, it is partly true. No one has ever touched my soul. Hehehe.

I headed back to Naga with a heavy heart. My brief encounter with Mt Mayon was like making love with someone so beautiful yet with clothes on.
planisphere says:
joke daw talga yun... kaya nga hanggang ngayon di ko pa rin nakikita ang peak eh... san ba yung peak? :-D
Posted on: Apr 02, 2009
ellechic says:
"virgins are the only people who cannot see the peak of Mt. Mayon".. Hahaha.. that's funny!
Posted on: Apr 02, 2009
planisphere says:
may nagsuggest din sa akin ng overnight na yan. ayoko na. mejo maulan din nung time na nandun ako kaya alam ko malamang di rin papakita talaga hehehe
Posted on: Dec 10, 2008