A Great Accident

Costa Rica Travel Blog

It was 2 am that fateful morning.  I had just gotten back from a party, was trashed out of my mind and cruising the web with my debit card handy.  Generally, alcohol +internet+debit card=bad news.  However never would I have guessed that my "influenced” decision would transpire into a life changing, fun filled, adventure that would not only open my eyes to different cultures but introduce me to amazing, exciting and inspirational people.

The next morning was an interesting one.  Observing the major dent in my checking account took some getting used to, not to mention explaining my situation to my roommates, friends and family was another story.  Generally people were fine with it until they asked the question, "so who are you going with?" and "where will you be staying?"  "You're nuts, going to a foreign country, by yourself when you don't even know where you're going?"  I was even beginning to doubt my situation and considered letting the $250 non-refundable deposit go...but then I went and spent $750 on a plane ticket...

With $1,000 down, there was no turning back, and the more I thought about it why would I want to?  Three months of summer vacation...why not spend one in a foreign country?  Money concerns?...if I saved and managed my money well I'd have the trip paid off in no time.  After college I'll be in the "real world" working to pay off my loans, if I'm going to do something exciting with my life, procrastination is not the way to go.  Some famous guy once said, "Procrastination is the fear of success."  I wasn't really sure if that applied to my situation, but I was going to pretend that it did.

My trip to Costa Rica was definitely one of the best decisions of my life.  I was forced myself into an entirely new and scary experience, filled with new people, unknown opportunities and outcomes.   I realized that I am capable of so much more than I give myself credit for.  Even now, I have days where I just don't believe that I can accomplish something, or feel like I'm not up to par with everyone else walking this earth.  Reminding myself about my days alone in Costa Rica helps remind me that I am just as capable and strong as everyone around me.  I volunteered to save sea turtles, I eluded abduction, explored jungles, markets and coral reefs, I met new people from all over the world and was able to communicate with them even with language barriers.

I firmly believe that being placed outside one's comfort zone is the best thing that can happen to someone or that someone can do for himself.  Being outside one's comfort zone forces an individual to either "sink or swim."  Thanks to the natural desire of 'self preservation,' generally, one will do all he can to "swim." "Swimming," requires independence, creativity, trust, judgment, and other skills that the majority of humans have, yet are rusty or buried due to many society's current structures.  Uncovering these skills expands the barriers of the "comfort zone," subsequently opening the "doors" of new opportunities, and greater life dreams and goals.

"Life Loses its meaning when we get stuck up in comfort zone."
       -M.K. Soni