Day One in Cuba

Cayo Coco Travel Blog

View from our balcony

Well we were up bright and early got our cossies on and headed out for brekkie I was being quite healthy with cereal and fruit. We had to meeting with the reps at 9 so headed to the designated meeting area. I loved the meeting it was great we learnt some history and facts about the place and best of all about the trips that we could go on I just wanted to book one so that I knew we were going on a wee adventure. We learnt that Cayo Coco was a little island joint to the mainland by a causeway. The Island only population was holidaymakers and most of the staff came from the nearest town Moron. Che Guevara's was a great revolutionary icon in Cuba. We decide to book the Havana trip for mid week so that it would break the holiday up we went for the day trip as we would get the plane there and back if you chose the 2-3 day one we would have to get a coach there which took like 6 hours, no thanks!!!

After the meeting we headed down to the beach to get started on our tans.

Coconut tree
I am seriously pasty white with freckles so burn easily as you can imagine I was on the factor 50 while my olive skinned mate Karen was on factor 20 I was so jealous. Within 2 hours I was burnt obviously not reapplying enough!!!

Oh the heat what we needed was a drink!!! Just in the nick of time we here the sound of the coconut ("coconuts, coconuts") man yippeee!!!! 2 guys with a wheel barrow (one with a scottish hat on with the fake ginger hair classic!!!) and loads of coconuts which they cut the top of with a mascette and pour some rum in for you with a straw mmmmmm.

Time for a wee dip the sea is so calm you can actually just lay and float in it great!!! A guy came along asking if we fancied going snorkling why not booked in for 4 so we have to get some bananas and bread to feed the fish (eh?!* never heard that one).

So we sunbathe a bit more and head for our lunch at the buffet style restaurant.

When we head back down to the beach to go on our wee snorkelling we have to go get some flippers, snorkels and a life jackets theres fish outside the hut just waiting to be gutted yuck!! There is a couple going out as well and another women. There was to boat like things (don't have a clue what they were called). Us three got on one and the others got on the 2nd one. It takes you out far enough to start. We just jump of the side into the water and I must tell you I was like a fish out of water for about 10 mins just getting used to wearing all this apparatus. But then I started to get the swin of things. The only guy that was out with us already had his life jacket off taking photos of the fish I was jealous but not brave enough to take mines off then Karen whips hers of too.

Karen going horse riding
The fish and corals were gorgeous. Karen feed the fish with the bread and bananas that we had brought with us and we swam or in my case floated about for an hour taking everything in I loved it and didn't want to go back ashore. OMG getting back on the boat thingy the guy couldn't pull me up how embarrassing!! I got up on my belly and had to pull myself up I looked like a right t*t haha!!!

We got back to shore handed all our stuff back in and headed back to our room for a shower and change. Karen and Gillian had a siesta and I watched some telly. We headed down for some dinner and then headed back to the beach for the beach party think we'd missed about half an hour already. They got the limbo contest going - Karen and Gillian jumped at the chance to have a go it was hilarious!!!

We went and had a wee drinks and then headed to bed the day had taken it out of us likes. We had a packed day and expected the rest of the holiday to go the same way!!!

Car
Car
A bit of reinactment from singing …
A bit of reinactment from singing…
What our lovely mades done for us