Volunteer Language Coaches Needed

San Juan del Sur Travel Blog

Hello from San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

Located just north of the Costa Rican border, San Juan del Sur is a small, oceanside town popular with backpackers, surfers and more adventurous travellers. It's a clean, safe, inexpensive  town where I now spend six months a year to escape Canadian winters.  If you are planning on visiting Nicaragua, San Juan is a wonderful place to stop for a few days.. good restaurants and lots of variety in accommodation.  Casa Oro is a well-known and well-run hostal just around the corner from the beach.

As  retired ESL teacher, I teach English as a volunteer to local hospitality workers three nights a week in the lobby of a local hotel called   Hotel Casa Marina (right on the beach) and I am always looking for help.

Winter 2009 classes are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Hotel Casa Marina. Just show up with a pen. Hotel Casa Marina is the tallest building on the beach. Just left of Hotel Estrella and beside BDF Bank.

No teaching experinece is needed. I teach the lesson then we break into smaller groups during which the students and coaches review what I have just taught.  Coaching gives the students one on one time with a native speaker and it will give you a chance to interact with locals and contribute to the community.  I recently fundraised in my homecommunity of Peterborough, Ontario, Canada in order to buy textbooks for my students.

If you are coming directly to Nicaragua from the US or Europe or Canada, use up extra baggage  allowance by bringing used clothes, running shoes, mosquito nets etc to give out when you arrive.  If you want to email me: theaginghippie@yahoo.ca

Buen Viaje