With travbuddies Ana and Raquel from Portugal.

Bratislava Travel Blog

With Dan, Ana and Raquel in Slovak Pub.

About a year ago after being active on travbuddy for 2-3 months, I couldn’t even imagine how many travbuddies I would meet the following year. Besides TB meetups while travelling myself I met many of them when they came to visit my own hometown Bratislava. From May on there was somebody almost every month. In October that were Ana and Raquel from Portugal.

Ana contactacted me about 2 weeks before her trip if I could give her some tips about Bratislava. Of course I did that and I offered to show her around if I will have time while she’s here. She was supposed to come with a friend during the weekend, that made everything much easier.

Ana taking a picture of funny Dan.
Couple of days before their arrival I went swimming with my Swedish friend Dan, who lives in Slovakia at the moment and is a travbuddy already as well. While talking about our plans for the weekend we found out that obvioulsy I wasn’t the only one on travbuddy Ana contacted. Well, we’ve been showing travbuddies around together several times, we could do that on Saturday as well.

I sent Ana my cellphone number through trvabuddy and on Friday evening I recieved a message that they should arrive in Bratislava Saturday afternoon by train coming from Budapest. She would send me another message when she knows the exact time of the arrival.

According to her second message that was suddenly 4:20pm.

Unbelievable, Dan having an idea? Hahaha...
I agreed to meet Dan at the train station few minutes before, but due to the fact that I missed one tram, I arrived just in time. Dan was already waiting with 2 friends from his office. Kiia fro Finnland and Stano from Slovakia, I knew them both already. The train from Budapest seemed to have arrived already, we couldn’t see it on the screen anymore, damn. I shouldn’t have written Ana before that they should wait on the platforma s I didn’t know the right platform. Then another message arrived...Ana and her friend were already here, so I messaged back if they could come to the main hall. We’ve been waiting a bit and then Stano offered to go to check the platforms if they could find them, while I would stay in the main hall. About 2-3 minutes later I saw a girl approaching and recogized Ana according to her profile pictures.
Dan and Ana.
She told me that she has to wait for her friend Raquel who was getting the tickets for the other day to Prague. I didn’t know that Raquel was a travbuddy as well, she admitted actually that she hasn’t been very active. I helped them to get the schedule for the trains to Prague at the information desk, meanwhile Dan, Stano and Kiia were back.

Ana and Raquel had a reservation at the Blues Hostel in the center, I knew it already thanks to other travbuddies who stayed there in the past. There was unfortunatly no direct bus or tram from the station, we would have to walk afterwards anyway, so I suggested to walk the whole way, it wouldn’t take us more then 30 minutes and the weather was fine. During the walk (we helped the girls with their luggage a bit) we got to know each other a little bit.

Having fun.
I got then a new nickname from Raquel...“bastard“...hahaha. If you travel a lot you become a „bastard“, good to know, haha. Of course she din’t mean it in a bad way, she just envied me a bit, hehe. Would like to know when I reached the „bastard“ level...and which level comes next.

We brought the girls to their hostel and waited till they checked in. They needed a little rest so we agreed on meeting later again. Meanwhile me, Dan, Stano and Kiia went into a cafe in the old center to get some coffee.

Dan dancing.
Kiia had to leave us after a while, be she meant she would join later again. About 2 hours later I recieved a message from Ana again, I suggested to meet on the Main Square directly in the old center. We took the girls around and showed them the main sights of Bratislava. The Slovak caital is not that big, has just half million of population. The center is nice, but not compact and not that big. Ana and Raquel were hungry anyway and wanted to try some Slovak specialities. They heard about „Slovak Pub“, would have considered to take them there anyway. Even if the girls are not really big beer lovers as they admitted, they joined us when we ordered a â€žround“. And they ordered some of the most raditional Slovak dishes: „bryndzove halusky“ and „bryndzove pirohy“. Bryndza is a traditional Slovak soft sheep cheese and is often used in our traditional dishes.
The portuguese girls. :-)
Tastes unsual for foreigners, Ana and Raquel meant that they liked it...maybe they said the truth, maybe they were just polite, hahaha. While we were waiting for our food, there was an electricity outage and the whole place got dark. The first time in my life since I’ve been coming to Slovak Pub. At least it didn’t take long. Meanwhile Kiia joined us again and came with her Slovak boyfriend Milan as well. We became a bigger group already.

After the dinner we left the place and decided to find some nice pub in the old town to sit down. Kiia and Miland had to say goodbye, unbelievable but true, Milan had to work on Sunday. The rest of us ended up in a pub close to the Slovak National Theatre having some last beers. It was fun having Ana and Raquel around, we did joke quite a bit together and don’t even ask which crazy things Stano and Dan were doing. That were some really strange noises, haha. I just hoped the girls enjoyed their evening in little unknown Bratislava, the following day they would be visiting already the famous Prague.

skydiver says:
Hi, as for Bratislava I don't think it's more dangerous then any other bigger city around Europe, normal precaution should be enough. Honestly, of course you can be orally "grabbed" by some drunken Slovaks (or foreigners, English men come to Bratislava to celebrate their stag parties and often they drink a lot) in the evenings, but you shouldn't be too worried about it, it's not like it happens every time.
Yes, there are beggars, but you can meet them in other countries as well. Usually they let you in peace, if they ask you for money just wave them up. As for pickpockets it's the same, usual precautions should be enough. You shouldn't be too worried, honestly, Bratislava isn't more dangerous then any other European capital. ;-)
Posted on: Jun 02, 2013
karizkyle says:
Hi I read your blogs and I find them informative. Can u give me some helpful tips about traveling alone in Bratislava? I read some positive and negative opinions about the place. Is it true that there are beggars and pickpocket? Is this rampant? What do u recommend? I'm thinking of having a one-day trip there..Thanks!
Posted on: Jun 01, 2013
lauro says:
der ambassador der slowakei! hahahahhahaaha :P
Posted on: Oct 21, 2008
With Dan, Ana and Raquel in Slovak…
With Dan, Ana and Raquel in Slova…
Ana taking a picture of funny Dan.
Unbelievable, Dan having an idea? …
Unbelievable, Dan having an idea?…
And once again.