It's al about jigs 'n reels.

Leiden Travel Blog

Changing our shoes

After a good rest saturday morning arrived, again way too early. At 6.30 my alarm woke me up, to do my make up and hair, and very important, to have a nice breakfast....who knows when I'll be having time to eat again?

For those of you that have never seen an Irish Dancer in full competing outfit I'll post some pictures, otherwise it's hard to imagine what I look like; even with pictures it's hard, haha! Well, I did my make up and hair in our room, to avoid having to share 1 mirror with 200 other girls at the Feis. Then it was time for breakfast, and that was one very good thing at this hotel! They try to use as much biological products as possible and there was a large variety of foods to choose from: kaisersemmel, brown buns, yoghurt, 6 kinds of muesli, large assortiment of meats, cheeses and sweets.

me in full attire
...very good. Plus I gave the skating kids a good stare! For me it is pretty normal to walk around in my normal clothes but with stage make up and wig; and I forget that for outsiders it looks weird....but there were more dancers in that hotel, eating breakfast with wigs etc. plus the excited squeels of us girls when discovering a long-time-no-see friend. The 'normal' guests probably thought we were crazy.... (in fact we are, but don't tell anyone I admitted it)

Off to the feis, nicely situated at 10 minutes walking from our hotel, in Donaustadt's Haus der Begegnung (House of Meeting). On saturday we started of with the little ones at 8, follewed by the old folks at 9.30. And the competition went on the entire day. And the whole next day as well.

playing peak-a-boo with a friend
...I'll just say there's a limit to the amount of Irish music one can stand! But we had a blast, meeting up with old friends, dancing and not to much delay in the feis (any feis is run on Irish time, meaning that it never ever starts or ends on time). I got home with 3 medals, thus making me a very happy Irish Dancer.

On saturday we ate at the Haus der Begegnung, which has a small but good and affordable restaurant: we enjoyed a wiener schnitzel for only € 7! Sunday we went to Der Grieche, said to be the oldest Greek restaurant in Vienna, located Barnabitengasse. Their card isn't very extentive, but the food is good and they have a nice choice of wines, even their house wines; I had a nice Cretan one to complement my dolmades, Bezes tou mekri and tzatziki.

posing with my new dress