Monday, october 13th.

Leiden Travel Blog

lazy leopard

Feis weekend is over and we had 2 more days left in Vienna. If you have to travel to Vienna, make sure you see something of Vienna, right? After another lovely breakfast we took off, to Schönbrunn Palace. The U-bahn didn't stop at Schönbrunn due to renovations (that will be finished at the end of November) so we had to get off 1 stop later and take the Tram to the Palace.

I've seen it before and yet it keeps impressing me. Boy, try to find someone there, with 1400 rooms! Cells phones didn't exist back then,haha. We took the grand tour, with those funny 'phones' that tell you what you're seeing, an Audio tour. Some rooms are so beautifully decorated, with gold trims and inlayed floors, wow! Too bad that pictures are not allowed, 'cause since it was a sunny day the light was amazing! The Grand tour takes you around the palace in approx.

55 minutes.

We had a nice, but expensive, cup of coffee in the Palace bar and enjoyed the sun while walking through the Gardens. The gardens are open to public every day and are very well maintained, with nice long lanes, fountains and al sorts of trees. We walked to the Zoo, which lies at one of the Parks edges. It's quite a big Zoo, bigger than one would expected; the Zoo is also constantly being 'on the move' with renovations or additions going on. A lot of the old Imperial cages are still there and in use, be it in an altered form or intergrated in a larger habitat. They had a lot of young animals this year: a baby seal, a baby panda, 2 tiger cubs and a lion triplet! Absolutely adorable!

After the Zoo we went back to the Centre, to visit the Albertina museum, based on the collection of Marie Christina, Marie Theresia's favorite daughter, and her husband Albert.

tiger cub no 2
They had 2 new exhibitions: a private collection donated by the couple Batlinger, consisting of painting from Monet to Picasso; the other was a comporarily exhibition of works of Van Gogh, having sketches and studies and the final works of him, so that one could see his working process. I love the Van Gogh one, to see how an artist sketched and studied before he started. The Batlinger collection was also worth the while, although I didn't like some of the more modern works'But that's just a matter of taste, right?

And then it was chocolate time! I was looking forward to going to Demel al this time! Demel used to be the supplier of the Habsburgers, with chocolates and cakes. Their coffee isn't that special, but their hot chocolate....made with rich, creamy milk and real cacao. And of course their cakes! Demel had a legal fight with Sacher about who invented the Sacher Torte; needless to say, Sacher won. But my absolute favorite cake at Demel is the Anna Torte, named after Anna Demel; it's chocolate layered cake with chocolate cream in between and hazelnut chocolate praliné on top: can I say Chocolate Overload? Plus they make the most magnificent marsipain 'statues'.

2 of the lion cubs