Vienna, a review

Leiden Travel Blog

Sthephans Dom

This blog was supposed to be written while I was ín Vienna, but my laptop crashed.....:-(  Now it is fixed and I am reconnected with the TB-community again.

Friday, october 9; it's early, way too early to get up....but I have to: I (well, actually we: boyfriend and me) have to check in my luggage at Schiphol Airport around 5.45 AM. Luckily I chexked myself in online, so it's just drop off and go. We fly Austrian Airlines, it costs a bit more but love the service! We got a nice breakfast with a cute mini kaisersemmel (a little bunroll).

Flight went smooth, and with just 15 minutes delay due to missing our take-off sloth at AMS we are in Vienna! Luggage arrived safely as well (that's always a question, haha). From the Airport you can take either a cab or the CAT, City-Airport Train.

Stephans Dom, interior
Cabs are expensive, the CAT costs € 15,00 p.p. roundtrip and will bring you to Station Wien Mitte in 15 minutes. I really recommend this one! At Wien Mitte you can chance to 2 U-Bahn lines (Viennese metro) that will bring you everywhere in Vienna.

Our hotel was outside the centre, so we had to get onto the U-bahn. The U-bahn is pretty affordable: an 8-day card costs 27,60. The good part of this is that this card has 8 strips, 1 for each day of traveling, and you stamp it when you first get on. You can use it with several people at the same time: for 2 people you stamp 2 strips etc.

We booked hotel Lenas Alte Donau, which was recommended to us by the people orgenasing the Feis (an Irish Dancing competition, for everybody outside the scene).

Funny stone work
It was affordable, esp. compared with other hotels. We paid € 60 per night per room incl. breakfast. This was special feis-rate, but normally the rooms are approx. 75 per night per room. It lies about 5 minutes walking from U1 station Alte Donau. Getting our room key was an adventure! We were earlier than check-inn time, okay, but normally rooms are ready for new guests. Ours wasn't....no problem, we just had to sit down and wait a moment....that moment was 2.5 hours! Without a drink or whatever offered....they said: you can leave your stuff here and go into the city, if you want. That would have been fine with me, if not a Czech teen skating team was there as well, messing around, and I had to leave my dresses there, where they could mess with them! (If anybody knows about the costs for a dancing/competing outfit, whether it is ballroom or whatever, you understand why I was not very fond of the idea)

But, the room was finally ready! Hoorah.

The roof
The room was fully decorated with Ikea furniture! Very funny, very simple but good. The matrasses were nice and firm, shower was hot and the view was okay. I only missed a second night stand, on my side of the bed and the night light was funny: it was red plastic and when you switched it on, the room looked like the Red Light District and reading was impossible.

After check-inn we went into the city and visited the StephansDom. I recommend it: the roof alone is amazing and inside is very beautiful. Make sure you go up to the tower as well, to see the roof upclose and the famous Pummerin Bell.

That night we ate at der Goldene Drache (the golden dragon), which is, unlike what it's name suggests, is not a Chinese restaurant, but the oldest Bierstube in Vienna. It's hunting season now, so we ate Goulash Soup, wild boar and Palatenschinken (pancakes). The wine served with it, was perfect, the waiter charming and the whole admosphere wonderfull. I loved it there.

Then it was time for bed, since it was an early morning and that saturday I had to be bright and ready for competition.

The roof
View from the top, with the Prater…
View from the top, with the Prate…
Leiden