“Bouncy Girl”

Rifle Travel Blog

Her door’s always closed, my daughter’s. But before school I’m the nagging type of Dad—you know, the “bed, teeth, and hair” type. Make the bed, brush your teeth, and fix your hair kind of reminder; A bark I’m sure my kids haven’t really heard consciously in years. Anyway, after chasing down stray crickets in the living room from the clumsy way I decide to feed the toads, I decide to take some of my own advice and prep for our daily departure. My boy, the smooth and easy one, sits quietly in the bathroom brushing his teeth obediently. He knows the routine and finds comfort in just getting the hard stuff out of the way. His bed is made, his backpack idling ready.

I knock before I enter my children’s rooms when the door is closed, and as stated previously, it’s an always when it comes to my daughter’s. I am surprised to discover her jumping on her bed with fake cell phone to her ear, the music on her stereo a moderate tone to bounce to. I’ve grown accustomed to wonderful surprises my second grader is capable of. She does let me have both barrels of her annoyance with my interruption, that I’ve witnessed her reveling in her happy place. Bouncy girls don’t like to be grounded to schedules.

We leave the house a little late today as we decided to switch out her ladybug earrings for the dangly penguin ones- losing yet another plastic back to the mysteries of her creamy shag carpet. I got my kiss in front of her school alright, but most importantly, I got her lesson that while schedules are easy to follow, finding life in a sliver of freedom is much more fun.

Rifle