AsiaIndiaUdaipur

Udaipur Travel Blog

Nicola:

27-11-2008

The sad story:

Today I woke up early to have a yoga lesson and I was waiting with the Yogi for other people to come. He was reading the newspaper that was in Hindi, so I could understand only the numbers and see the pictures. Every day in Indian newspapers there are some pictures about blasts and bombings, three weeks earlier our arrive in Delhi there was one in the capital city, and two weeks after one in the remote Assam. I didn’t realise that there was a new one, so I didn’t match the dates with the unrecognizable locations in Hindi.

City Palace by day

Then calmly the yogi told me:  this night there was a new bombing, this time in Mumbai. “They  (no one knows who they are…) want only to kill. They choose crowded places in big cities, where police can’t control too much (police doesn’t control so much anywhere…), and they kill as much people as possible. They don’t ask anything. They only want to kill”.

And this is true. This time terrorists had chosen also two major hotels full of Westerners, but before they completed the massacre in the suburbs, but the astonishing matter is that they don’t ask for anything. At the second day with hostages terrorists still didn’t have any requests.

At home my relatives are a little bit worried, but in Udaipur, were I am at the moment, only television tell this story.

Lake Palace
Unless there is a private war in Mumbai, in Udaipur rickshaw drivers still have to gain some money, restaurants have to satisfy their few customers, beggars have to ask for something to eat. Everyone is occupied 7 day a week with their unemployment, their battle for life, and it doesn’t matter if 500 km away their nation has a big problem. This is India, the biggest democracy in the world, without a link between its people.

I became angry reading online that the stupid Italian Foreign Affairs’ Minister said that it’s Al-Qaeda. This man doesn’t know his work and wants only create new alarmism through Italy. The real problem is that Muslims are in trouble with Hindi, Sikhs are in trouble with Hindi and Muslims, Hindi are in trouble with Christians and Chinese are in trouble with Tibetans. This generates Terrorism with no aim if not creating new kind of terror.

The good story:

Switching off the TV lets this sad reality disappear, and a good story could also be told.

Udaipur is the most beautiful city in Rajasthan, perhaps in the whole India. The lake Pichola lies between wonderful palaces and mountains circulate the city. The Lake palace stands in the middle of the water and the City palace looks at it gloriously and shiningly. We experienced also a compassionate way to ask for some money: this is the first time we are “invited” in some Indian house, we had an interesting chat with these Indians, they taught us their uses with meal, clothing and so on, but finally we were requested to buy one necklace bijoux for only 5 euros, the good work of a pride woman buried in a masculine society, and we left the house disoriented, without knowing where the hospitality had finished and the cheating had started.

Henni:

I want to add my comment to the previous. So, this guy who invited us to his house was our guide at the City Palace – a good guide indeed.

Women washing at a ghat
His real request was that as we both speak English and French would we come that evening to his house for the dinner because he wanted to rehearse those languages just by chatting with us. With this he seemed quite genuine so we decided that why not. Then in the evening we went there and met his family. Actually we offered him the chance to make business because Nico told him that we had just bought a sari for me that I didn’t know how to put on. The guy told us that no problem his wife would help me. First the situation was enjoyable; we had a cup of tea with them and talked about India, religions, etc. We learned quite many new things and the wife showed me how to put the sari on. This was all very interesting -especially to see an Indian home and to hear the wife telling me about women’s way of dressing up and wearing those Indian clothes. But after the sari was on me obviously I needed some jewellery etc. So, of course the wife had a business of making necklaces etc and selling them to her friends. In this point the husband understood the business making opportunity and started putting some pressure on us. The nice atmosphere was ruined naturally and we just wanted to eat and go back to hotel.
Then we ate quite fast and told them we need to get back and they brought us back.

A weird evening I must say because in the end we don’t know whether the jewellery would have come up without our sari part –probably yes but who knows. In the end I wasn’t that disappointed because I learned many new things about Indians and the way to put on the sari. It was nice to see that the poor wife didn’t have the nasty business lust the husband had. She was sincere and a bit ashamed of her husband’s behaviour. From Indian point of view it’s sad to see this ugly spirit of capitalism that is conquering the country. All white people are practically walking wallets.

KeikoCreative says:
Is really interesting to read your blog, oh ya now the attack is going on in Mumbai! Glad u guys are at a safe location:)
Posted on: Nov 29, 2008
che figo...
che figo...
Women washing at a ghat
Jagmandir Island. Too many hotels …
Jagmandir Island. Too many hotels…
The sun-god.