3 days in Vienna

Vienna Travel Blog

Mozart concert at Musikverein
I planned Vienna to be a 'vacation from my vacation' as I knew I'd have a lot of walking to do in Paris and Rome and would need a break before Oktoberfest in Munich afterward. However, I underestimated Vienna a little as there is quite a lot to see there. First of all, it is the cleanest city in Europe I've seen so far. The restaurants are very good and I felt very comfortable in this city. Would definitely consider living here if the opportunity arose.

We took a break from all the walking and then explored a little bit, going to the Mozarthaus and perusing the main shopping districts which seem to be the centerpieces of Vienna. One restaurant that was particularly good was Lindenkellar, right near St Stephen's Cathedral. It was built in the 1400s and Napoleon dined there, among others. I had Hungarian Goulash for the first time and it was so great I've learned to cook it for myself now.

One thing that was a little overrated was the 'Sacher Torte', supposedly the greatest chocolate cake very made. I saw it on a Rick Steves video so I had to try it. We went to the place it was invented, the Hotel Sacher. It was basically just a dried out chocolate cake to me, but I'm sure some people just love it.

We had tickets to a Mozart concert at Musikverein where all the musicians dress in 18th century clothes. It was a great experience and although Vienna doesn't have the long history of Paris or Rome, it's a great town to just take in the sites and sounds without having to feel so rushed with a huge list of places to take your picture at. That being said, I didn't even have time to see Schoenbrunn palace, but I'll save that for another trip as Vienna is definitely on my list of places to visit again.
photo by: EmyG