Bangkok and Nong Khai

Bangkok Travel Blog

On the flight we met three men, one a lawyer and the other two wind surfers.  One of them was four times world windsurfing champion which was pretty cool.  They offered us a place to stay. But as trustworthy as they seem we headed to the hostel we had planned to go to.  As we walked out of the airport the humidity hit.  It was 30 degrees at 10pm at night!!!

We spent the first few days exploring the city.  On the first day we made our way accross Bangkok to visit Jim Thompsons house.  Then later it was back to the hostel to make the most of free drinks for ladies.  The hostel is about 3 pounds a night, has air conditioning and has free drinks for girls on fridays- I'm in heaven!!

On the second day we did a few of the touristy things.  We took the ferry up the river and made a few stops. Including the Grand Palace and the temple of Dawn (I think that was the name?!)  Then in the evening we managed to end up at a party in a flat owned my the American embassy after purchasing alcohol on the only day in the year it is illegal to sell it.  Big John ( The hostel owner) is the one to thank for that!!  After a few drinks I was even seeing elephants in the street, this time they were real (not think a particular birthday celebration in Trishna!!).

On our third day in Bangkok, we headed to the massive weekend market to do a bit of retail thereay. We also purchased a beautiful banana milkshake which cured the hangover perfectly.

On Monday night we took the over night train to Nong Khai to visit Cat.  The train was an experience in its self.  I have a habit over what ever mode of transport we are on of been seated next to the smally toliets!!

Nong khai is so humid.  The temperature has been about 35degrees the whole time we have been here. But the heat hasn't stopped us having a brillant time here.  So far we've visited the monks, helped teach in a school, visited the chinese market, sampled so much lovely food and been to a sculpture park.  This afternoon we are going to play with the children at the orphanage.

photo by: halilee