Plitvice Lakes National Park

Plitvice Travel Blog

Marches on the Lake
The Zagreb bus also stops off at Plitvice Jezera, 96Kn per person single. Autobusni Kolodvor Zadar, 9am prompt departure. The whole bus journey is just over 2hrs long. After about an hr and a half the bus stops off at a small town bus station. You have 20mins to stretch your legs and have a cigarette. There is a huge restaurant with clean toilets, which i wisely use before setting off again. There is also a mini market and a tisak to pick up any extras.

We depart promptly after 20mins. Half an hour down the road I notice Plitvice signs, I sense we are close. The bus pulls up on the side of the road by a wooden hut bus shelter and picks up a passenger. Just as he pulls away I notice that the stop is labelled Plitvice.
Green lake, baby waterfall
.. I panic and jump up and squeal a little bit, I think I have missed my stop. An old man calms me down and tells me that there is another stop at the main entrance for Plitvice. Sure enough after a couple of minutes we pull up outside Plitvice and the conductor shouts Plitvice!

Quite a few other tourist passengers are also visiting. The road winds down for about 10mins before you reach the ticket office and information station. Entry 110Kn each for +18. This covers the cost of the bus and boat rides that service the park. Nobody checks the tickets at any point...

We take the bus route up to station 4, this ride take about 10 mins. We follow the crowd onto the lake path, it is made of wooden slats and winds around the lake. It leads us through some marches on the lake.
Lake beyond the trees
The scenery is picturesque. Blue/green lakes, mountain backdrop and rich red/orange leaf trees all picture perfect. The water is clear enough to see the steep drop to the bottom and the fishes swimming around. The waterfalls are very loud although they are not huge like niagara falls or anything. We spot a few ducks scattered about on the lakes and in some areas there are a thick helping of algae. The path goes up hill, down hill and winding all around. This first stretch is busy as all the people on the bus ride is keen to take the lead. Once the journey continues on further the group starts to become more separated and isolated picture opportunities crop up. I can't imagine how busy the paths can be during the summer season. This is the beauty of visiting in October, the weather is perfect for the long walk, the autumnal scene is breathtaking and less people to pollute that natural atmosphere.
More falls
We spot a few coves /caves that are cool and moist inside. We aim for the the lake boat, that trail takes us about 2 hrs before we reach the boat.

The boat has a capacity of 100 passengers. We manage to half fill it sparingly. We head across the lake to station point P2. The ride is only about 10 mins long across the clam water of the lake, I spot a few fish gathering under the boat. The other side has a restaurant cafeteria, toilets and a small gift shop. Good excuse to have a spot of lunch and a look in the souvenir shop. Cheese burger and fries for about 50Kn. There are picnic style table and benches out on the grass, some in the sunshine and others in the shade. Don't make the mistake of eating too much though, otherwise you just won't want to finish the walk.
Peaceful boat ride on the lake
Hundreds of school kids occupy the same lunch area making a huge racket. Try to sit far from them as to not spoil your tranquil intake of nature.

The last part is the hardest, full belly, hot sun and aching legs all add to the final countdown. On the last stretch we spot a lot more tourist holiday groups. A huge mass of Japanese tourists, Spanish and German. Still lots of schools kid roaming about the place. We pass a footbridge over a small stretch of lake where people have thrown coins in, I guess they would have also made a wish here too. On the way back down there are some rocky paths. The rocks are shiny, marble like and again be careful for to slip. Trees are malting all over the trail, with very rich red and brown and orange leaves. Some naked trees ready for winter.
Calm lakes
I did do my best to try to spot some wildlife... bears in particular but no luck! After another 2 hrs we finish the trail and find ourselves at the bus station, waiting for the bus to take us back to the beginning again. At the end of the trek, I felt a very triumphant and impressive feeling of glory!

Don't forget to use the toilet facilities before the long journey back to Zadar. The facilities are very clean, I can't imagine it being this well serviced in the summer. Remember to check the bus timetable before heading out of the park. A cup of coffee at the Poljana cafe is well deserved if you have time before your bus. Journey back only cost 94Kn, saved ourselves 2Kn.

In a cave