Leisurely walk along the Riva

Zadar Travel Blog

Riva
First morning in Zadar, its a Sunday and I am so excited. We decide to head into the Old town and see some sights. The walk is about 10 minutes from the apartment, we cross over the foot bridge and enter through the gate. We reach Narodni Trg (public sq) within 2 minutes. The cafe is thriving with locals having their coffee. The shops on the other hand are all closed, other than some tisak's (news stands) all else is closed even tourist souvenir shops. The streets of the Old town are deserted, where are all the people? It is clean and the stone floors are shiny, so shiny in fact that i almost slip a couple of times. In comparison to Dubrovnik it is much quieter, with less people, less over run with tourists but with equal beauty.
Sea organ, close up

We decide to head to the beach and have a drink at Porthos, Kolovare beach, a place that Denis recommended. It is about a 15 min walk from the south gate. Again the place is heaving with locals having a coffee. Not many swimmers on the beach the water is freezing cold but there are a few sun worshippers in their bikini's, my guess is that they tourists and that is confirmed when we walk past and hear english accents. I am only brave enough to stick my big toe into the sea. Maybe tomorrow I say to myself.

Four o'clock arrives unnoticed and its time for me to meet Lara, fellow TravBuddy companion. We have arranged to meet at Kult cafe, chosen from the Lonely Planets guide of Croatia. The place is quiet, only a few people sitting out on the terrace... having a coffee.
Sea organ, sea view
As I am finishing off my lunch next door at Canzona, I ask Lara to join me there instead. She is my first online friend to meet in real life so I don't know what to expect, in fact I don't expect anything as not to be disappointed.

Lucky for me Lara is very nice, easy to talk to and knowledgeable about the town. It feels so much more comfortable having a local walk you around town than trying to follow a map that doesn't have all ten street names. We start on the Riva, it is peaceful and stunning especially during sunset. The beauty is that it is undisturbed by cheap stall vendors cluttered on the sea front, like many other seaside towns. The paving on the promenade is shining in the sun and the water is glistening, the islands in the distance makes a picturesque backdrop and the cherry on the top is the red skyline.
Greeting of the sun
The stretch from the University right down to the ferry port where the Jadrolinjia sets off from. You can really enjoy the sea view and capture the atmosphere of the place as you approach the vicinity of the sea organ. The genius who designed and created this simple idea should be applauded. Such a simple notion of wind and water whistling through "holes" creating a captivating tune that is so peaceful. The videos on youtube do not give the sea organ real justice, you really need to experience it in real life to appreciate it. You can sit here for hours just reading or daydreaming, perfect location.

Right beside the organ is the "Greeting of the sun". A huge circle created with panels of glass performs a disco array of light after dark. On the outer circle, the patron saints of Zadar are engraved. When the lights are going at full force and the city is dark it feels like if you step off the edge you could fall right into the sea. This was not listed in the Lonely planets guide but well worth a look.

Greeting of the sun, green stage