Kornati Islands boat excursion

Kornati Islands Travel Blog

Bigger excursion boat
Two agencies compete for business and both ends of the footbridge. Aquarius and Nexus, both offer the same package at the same price, so either one would be sufficient. We spoke with both sides and ended up buying tickets from Nexus. The old lady from Aquarius was mighty pissed off when she realised, she'd missed out, she scowled at us as we boarded our boat.

Don't expect excursions to run on time out of season. Prompt 8.30am departure means maybe 9am but most likely 9.30am. After waiting on the boat for over an hour the tour group manages to muster together about 18 tourists. The boat was pretty small, it had bench and table style seating on the lower deck and open top upper deck with plastic table and chairs. As the boat is small it can be quite rough on the sea especially if a bigger boat speeds past you leaving you to climb through the wave.
Donkey greeting
Sitting on the upper deck in the morning is not such a great idea, if you plan to do this wear a warm jacket and long trousers. It can get pretty chilly as the boat is speeding along and the sun isn't at its full potential.

The journey is about 3 hrs long, you are greeted with an aperitif, a large shot of grappa and a couple of biscuits. After about an hour into the trip you are served with a large ham and cheese sandwich, with red wine or orange squash. There is no english speaking guide on board so no explanation of the islands that we pass along the way. I just used my own imagination or daydreamed about the deep blue sea, desperately trying to spot something interesting... like a dolphin maybe. The hum of Croatian radio playing and the swishing of the sea is quite relaxing early in the morning.
Cliff edge

On arrival, we are greeted by two black donkey. There are a total of about six of them... how did they get here? The non English speaking captain of the ship directs us to the restaurant, cliffs and the salt lake. He gives us strict instruction that we need to be back on the boat at 2.15pm sharp for departure and lunch. First stop, we make our way up the hills to see the cliff edge. There is a path leading from the back of the restaurant up to the cliff. The first part of the path is paved and gently sloping up hill. After about 5 mins the path turns rocky and crumbly, no defined pathway. We stumble through ignoring all the warning signs "climb at your own risk." The cliff is fenced off around the edges, it is difficult to take pictures without the fences spoiling the cliff view.
Tree top view with the cliffs
You do get to appreciate how deep the drop is, you see the blue/green sea and the waves crashing into the side of the cliff. I discover a tree that is useful for climbing and try to get a few scenic shots without the fences.

Next stop, Salt Lake. We descend back down the crumbly beaten path, trying to catch some grass hoppers on the way. The sun is beating down on us at this point so a refreshing dip in the warm lake is enticing. The lake is so peaceful. Surrounded my high cliffs and trees. There is only one person swimming in the lake when we arrive, she has managed to swim out half way across the lake. I lady that sold us our ticket told us that the lake was +30 degrees. I take a shallow dip to test out the temperature. OMG!!! The water is freezing! It talks me about 5 mins to brave it and just dive in full body.
Salt lake
I am greeting with a family of fish swimming around me. Some of them can actually leap out of the water, splish splash. Tip... bring jelly shoes with you. The rocky lake bed can be quite painful especially when you're trying to get out of the lake after a rapid swim.

Time to head back to the boat. The donkey try to leave with us. Lunch is served on the boat, we eat while we are whisked back to Zadar. The lunch consists of fish... mackerel i believe, a pork chop and some salad. The lunch is a bit cold by the time it is served, this makes the chop quite chewy and the fish bitter. By this time I'm so hungry I wolf it down... another tip... bring your own snacks.

Sit on the top deck on the journey back. The sun should be much warmer at this point and the wind is gentle and refreshing. It also gives your hair and bikini a chance to dry off.

To summarise;
What NOT to expect on a boat excursion during off season;
A prompt start
A big boat
An english speaking guide
A hot lunch
A HOT dip in the salt lake

Conclusion; although we didn't get the above as promised, we still had a wonderful time. We got some quality photos and an experience of the beautiful Kornati Islands. Yes I would do this trip again.
Polarisyachting says:
I am sorry that you are not satisfied, but you haven`t been in National park Kornati, the place you`ve been is Nature park Telascica, but only one boat in Zadar acctually goes to Kornati,every one else go to Telascica.
Posted on: Feb 03, 2011