stuck on the mainland

San Pedro Sula Travel Blog

After one last decadent sleep at the intercontinental, it was time to head off.  My flight was a 6:45, so I had to leave the hotel at 4:30- wish I had a few more hours to enjoy that wonderful bed!  There’s nothing direct between the two countries, so I flew to El Salvador, and then on to San Pedro Sula.

In San Pedro Sula, the trouble began.  I heard that Roatan airport might be closed.  Our electricity bills just tripled this month, and apparently, the day before there were all sorts of protests.  The streets were all barricaded, so no one could get to work or school, the airport was closed, the cruise ship was turned away.
  I found out that negotiations were underway, so the airport would be open- whew!  I shouldn’t have breathed a sigh of relief so quickly!  There was heavy rain, so the airport in La Ceiba was closed, and our flight normally passed through there.  Instead of seeing the sense of flying us directly to Roatan (at least the passengers that were going there rather than Ceiba), they kept us waiting.  And waiting.  Poor honeymoon couple sitting next to me- they had already been delayed the day before, because of the protests.  The weather got worse in Roatan, so then it shut for awhile as well.  Finally, as people started to get agitated, the weather cleared, and our flight went to Ceiba.  In the clear?  Not quite!  In Ceiba, we were told to disembark and wait in the waiting room.  I wasn’t overly concerned, as they usually do this.  Then we waited some more.  The plane we had come in on was flown back to San Pedro Sula- they said they needed that plane for another route.  Meanwhile, another domestic carrier took off to Roatan, with all of us looking on enviously.    My boss and the general manager of the resort were there, as they had flown over to Ceiba for the day, and there were quite a few other familiar faces.  We waited.  I started going a little loopy from all the waiting.  I took out the toy guitar I had bought for Deo, and started to sing an off-key country song about being stuck in the airport.  I gave the honeymoon couple the xylophone and maracas, which conveniently were also in my carry-on, and we started up a band.
We took turns going to the manager’s office to complain, and ask for an update.  They said 10 minutes, they said 30 minutes.  They said a plane was coming.  They said a plane was waiting for the crew to board.  They said they needed a plane to be re-routed.  Finally, they said the plane was circling around, but couldn’t land as the runway lights weren’t working (the rumor I heard was that the lights were working, they just didn’t turn them on, and there was no plane circling)- so after hours and hours of waiting, we were told  that we were stuck in Ceiba for the night.  My boys and I were both counting on me being home that day, and we were all crying on the phone.  For those of us who had tickets all the way through, the airline put us up in a hotel, and got us dinner (my boss and others that just had their Ceiba ticket had to pay things for themselves).  There was a fun group of people at the hotel – they headed over to my house for a Airport Survivor get-together the day after we got into Roatan.
San Pedro Sula