Why Do They Call It Rush Hour When Nothing Moves?

Puntarenas Travel Blog

The saying, "getting there is half the fun", became worthless thanks to the airplane. The airplane made travel between long distances almost non-existent. I get to London quicker from my house than I can get to work some mornings!

Today that old saying began to ring true for us, not that we appreciated it at the time of course.

After visiting the coffee plantation in Monteverde, myself & Mike hit the road in search of San José. Unfortunately the road was not as straight forward as we might have hoped but the thrill/fear of almost falling off the steep mountainside roads. By avoiding the main roads we got to see some amazing little villages and scenic views that we would never have seen otherwise.

From a top the mountains, we were able to see Puntarenas off into the distance so we thought it would be great to make our way there for lunch, sure isn't it on the way to San José anyways?? I must admit that we were not blown away by the Puntarenas at all. The waterside is pretty nice and so is the beach but that is about it. Very industrial and at that a lot of buildings are closed down. We did enjoy a very lovely lunch though.

When we finally hit the road again, we decided to stick to the main roads as they are bound to be quicker....boy were we wrong!!

We hit rush hour straight away. At one point we almost packed it in and decided to walk the rest of the way. If it was not for the fact that we were both to fly home tomorrow we would have just pulled off and gone to some random town.

To make matters worse the level of fuel was quickly disappearing, not that we noticed this.

When we eventually made our steady way into San Jose we had to circle around looking for a petrol station. Did you ever notice that you can strive to find something and only stumble across one to only see that around the next corner there are 7 petrol stations?? Well, we did.

Once we made it to the hostel, we decided that we more than deserved a few drinks. So we drank the night away from atop our rooftop bar with the striking back drop of San José behind us. It was a fitting way to see out my last night in Costa Rica with a few Imperials and a few whiskeys thrown in for good measure.

I have truly had a fantastic trip since I left Dublin after my exams, from building houses and making friends in Kyrgyzstan, a brief visit back home for Angelique's wonderful wedding and then on to living on a beach in Costa Rica surrounded by great people, amazing sea turtles, volcano fun and cheap thrills from zip lining through the jungle canopy. All in all, it has been a fantastic few weeks that I will never forget. I may have lost a good friend but I made so many more that I truly hope to see time and time again.

photo by: eglp