Jumping In Head First

San Jose Travel Blog

The Flag Of Costa Rica

Blind dates are the worst idea ever! Everything is so clouded by nervousness abd full of questions. What if they don't like me? What if I don't like them? What if she tries to eat something off my plate?? Imagine then that you have barely spoken to the person and also that you plan to travel together for the next 3 weeks.

Well this is exactly how I felt as I sat in Costa Rica Backpackers in San José awaiting the arrival of Kelly (martiana). Although I had seen many photos of her, I suddenly thought that aside from her being blonde, what does she actually look like??

When Kelly found me out by the pool, there was no awkwardness at all. Well at least on my part anyway. We had spoken so much by email that I felt I already knew her well. After awhile, we set off walking around the town. Kelly really feels at home here after coming here so many times before, so she was a great help.

We stopped for dinner in a lovely little "busy" spot that had two other dinners in there but they sure looked satisfied so thought why not. The food was lovely but the whiskey and round of caiprinha's were far better. Kelly didn't even try to eat anything off my plate...she actually offered me stuff off hers!! Happy days!

We then strolled back to the hostel were we waited for José and Mark. Mark's flight was delayed so we went out with José and his father, Adrian, to a bar that he recommended called Rio. Adrian is an absolute character. So happy José let him stay out with us, not that he would have had much of a choice of course.

After awhile myself and Adrian headed back to meet Mark. I really did not know what to expect. I know he goes to pretty much every meet up so I knew he wasn't gonna be particularly shy and boy was I right! He is quite possibly the most out going person I have ever met in my life. He has a great sense of humour and bounced off Adrian perfectly. In fact, I think myself, Kelly & José sat for about an hour while the two boys rattled on with plenty of banter!

The night was still fairly warm when we got back to the hostel so myself, Mark & Kelly stayed up shooting the breeze for awhile....well until the hostel staff told us that we had to move on!

San Jose