Arrival at my destination

Tunica Travel Blog

The view from my room

The plane landed in Memphis, Tennessee and I hopped on a shuttle to take me down to Tunica, Mississippi (about 40 miles south of Memphis). I had a room booked at Harrah's Resort & Casino and having never been there before did not know what to expect. I arrived around midnight and was anxious to get a room to get rid of my luggage, then really wanted to grab a bite to eat because I hadn't eaten since lunch and I was starving. While I was in line at the front desk I met a fellow co-worker, whom I had never met in person yet and I introduced myself. I checked in shortly after then waited for my co-worker to get his room. They couldn't find a reservation under his name and the hotel was fully booked and no rooms were available until the next day.

The Casino across the highway from the hotel
My room had an extra bed so I offered it to him so he would at least have a place to sleep for the night. Once we got settled in, we decided to get something to eat. We looked around the hotel and realized there wasn't a restaurant in the hotel and we would have to take a shuttle across the highway to the casino, where the restaurants were located. Once we got there, we found out the buffet restaurant was closed and the only place left was a cafe and they had a very limited variety of food. We ate what we could because at this point we just wanted something, anything!!

The next day we had a look around and realized there was really nothing to do at this resort except gambling at the casino. There was no pool, no fitness center and it was located on 2200 acres of land in the middle of absolutely nowhere so you couldn't walk to any shopping malls or any other tourist attractions, and of course anytime you wanted to grab a bite to eat you had to take a shuttle to the casino.

Entrance to the casino
They knew they had you by the short and curlies because there weren't any cabs that would come there and if they did you were looking at about a two hour wait for one. You could rent a car at the hotel but they wanted $175 a day for that!!! We all described our experience there a low level security penitentiary where the shuttle buses would come by now and then to pick up the inmates and drop them off at the other buildings in the compound.

All in all, a crappy place to stay. I don't want to return there, that's for sure!!!

Lord_Mike says:
Capitalism working at its best here, huh?
Posted on: Feb 27, 2009
The view from my room
The Casino across the highway from…
The Casino across the highway fro…